Apple has increased its efforts to help fight the coronavirus pandemic by sourcing N95 masks from its supply chain, they’re calling these things Face Shields. Meanwhile, late night shows have found a way to broadcast from hosts’ homes — FaceTime. Looking beyond the current pandemic, we have a bunch of productivity tutorials for those of you working from home, as well as tons of new great apps, games and jailbreak tweaks you should check out. Keep your spirits up — we’re in this together as a species and we’ll get through this together.
Table of contents
Use the links below to jump directly to a section that interests you.
- “Let’s Talk iOS” podcast
- Deals and discounts
- News and rumors
- Tips, tricks and tutorials
- Apps, games and updates
- Jailbreak tweaks
Our weekly recap follows right ahead.
Weekly recap: April 6—13, 2020
Welcome to a new installment of iDownloadBlog’s Editor’s Desk weekly column in which we round up everything that was published on iDownloadBlog.com from April 6-13.
Let’s Talk iOS: Long time listener, second time callerEpisode #338 of our “Let’s Talk iOS” podcast welcomes iDB’s Senior Vice President of Wallpapers, Jim Gresham, who returns to the show after an almost 6-year hiatus. He gets to talk to Cody and Sebastien about current topics, such as Apple’s acquisition of Dark Sky, HomePod vs. Sonos and working from home in this strange period of our lives.
Wallpapers: Animal Crossing for iPhone
As we all continue to shelter-in-place, it is getting tougher to keep staring at the same four walls. Many have turned to Nintendo’s latest release, Animal Crossing, to live their lives in a more enjoyable, non-pandemic environment than what’s currently surrounding us all out there.
In fact, the Nintendo Switch console is currently sold out in brick-and-mortar stores and at most online retailers. To support the fans out there, this week’s collection brings Animal Crossing-themed iPhone wallpapers featuring subtle tones and patterns.
News and rumors to keep tabs on
Check out the stories that were making rounds this week.
- Apple sources 20+ million masks for healthcare workers
- CBS drama to shoot upcoming episode via FaceTime
- This is Apple’s Face Shield
- Apple Music supporting indie labels with $50M fund
- Lady Gaga FaceTimes Tim Cook on The Tonight Show
- Apple bringing on 1,000+ for summer intern programs
- Virtual COVID-19 meeting for Apple employees
- Chinese retailers discounting iPhone 11 to boost demand
- Apple shares fun iOS activities for kids
- Apple, Google working on COVID-19 contact tracing tech
- Apple brings Today at Apple sessions to your home
- Cook to give Ohio State University commencement address
- iOS/iPadOS 13.4.1 to with FaceTime and Bluetooth fixes
- watchOS 6.2.1 with FaceTime fixes launches
- macOS Catalina 10.15.4 supplemental update now live
- Video: 2020 iPad Pro vs. original 2015 model
- Video: iPad Pro 11 vs. 12.9 inches
- Amazon UK says iPad Pro Magic Keyboard due on May 30
- HBO NOW and GO not dropping support for older Apple TVs
- Another FaceTime patent lawsuit filed against Apple
- Apple to deliver March quarter earnings April 30
- Why some AirPods replacement units are unusable
- Survey: 88% of US teens own iPhone
- Apple video: Creativity goes on
- 13″ MacBook Pro with Magic Keyboard arriving in May
- iPhone 12 LiDAR scanner shown on leaked images
- iPhone 12 notch getting smaller
- Apple over-ear headphones due at WWDC
- iPhone SE 2 in mid-April, 6.7″ iPhone 12 in October
- AirPower replacement may use A11 chip to manage heat
iOS 14 spelunking
- Clips feature to let you try apps without installing
- Concept: Home screen widgets
- Concept: Apple Watch complications on iPhone
Tips and tutorials to learn something new
Learn something new with our tutorials, tips and tricks.
Boost your remote work productivity
- iPadOS: iPad gestures with Magic Trackpad and Mouse
- macOS: Creating and reusing Mail templates
- macOS: How offline editing works in iWork
- iOS/macOS: Changing background color in Numbers and Keynote
- iOS/macOS: Collaborating with teams in Notes
Productivity keyboard shortcuts
Apple Music tips
- iOS: New releases notifications for your library
- macOS: Using the Music app’s mini-player
- iOS/macOS: Viewing apps that can access your library
- iOS: Using Apple COVID-19 app
- watchOS: Viewing apps with complications
Apps, games and updates to unwind
Check out new apps and games, updates and related news.
New app releases
- Facebook: New Tuned app for couples
- Watchsmith: Dynamic, customizable Apple Watch complications
- Stanford: Connecting first responders to drive-through COVID-19 testing
- Apple Arcade: Garbage collecting tittle Scrappers arrives
- Company of Heroes: Coming soon to iPhone
- Forza Street: Racing to App Store on May 5
- Missile Command: Recharged: Now available on App Store
- Apple Clips: New stickers, trackpad support and more
- Apple COVID-19: New features available to users
- Apple Maps: Groceries, hospitals and more now easier to find
- Facebook: Quiet Mode now available
- Pixelmator Photo: Now with Split View and trackpad support
- Snapchat: AR lenses for donating to WHO’s coronavirus relief fund
- WhatsApp: New restrictions on bulk message forwarding
New iDB app roundups
Accessory reviews and news that might interest you.
- LG: 2020 NanoCell TVs with AirPlay 2 and HomeKit
- Twelve South: SurfacePad for iPhone 11 in spring colors
- Roundup: Top iPad Pro leather cases
All the latest resources for your pwned devices are right here.
Here’s the latest from the land of jailbreaking community.
- Activator: Beta with preliminary iOS 13 support
- AltStore: You can now sideload apps for free
- Checkra1n: Gains support for iOS 13.4 and 13.4.1
Be sure to check out these new jailbreak tweaks.
- AlbumHider: Hide Photos albums on demand
- Arc: One-handed shortcuts panel
- ContactTime: Timezones in Contacts app
- Dawn: Mix Dark and Light mode elements
- Delete All Alarms: Name says it all
- DNDMyRecording: Enable DND for iOS Screen Recording
- DopeConvos: New Messages features and design
- Dotto+: Classy aesthetics for notifications
- FolderControllerXIII: Rich folder customizations
- FortuneCookie: Free fortunes on your iPhone
- PasteAndGo2: Search in Haptic Touch menus
- Roundup: Jailbreak tweaks of the week
Your favorite picks from the roundup?
Let us know in the commenting section down below!