When the workweek is over and it is time to settle in for two days of relaxation, nothing sounds sweeter to me than hours of game playing on my iOS device (especially my iPad). Even when I am too busy to game, I can still use my iPhone to help out with practically anything else I might be up to.
If you are in need of some apps and games to keep you moving this weekend, we have a list that might help you find what you are looking for. Check it out and feel free to tell us about new apps you’ve discovered, as well.
Fans of the original NES game staring the money-hungry Scrooge McDuck will be overjoyed to see that he and his nephews are back in a remastered, redesigned, and revamped version. As the aging fiscal conservative, players must rescue McDuck’s fortune (and family) from those pesky Beagle Boys. Run, jump, and frolic through five different locations in search of treasure. Fight iconic villains, collect gems, and explore new adventures. Connect your MFi controller for a console-like experience. Featuring original voice talent from the original Scrooge McDuck, Alan Young. This game is available for $9.99.
Do you suffer from FOMO (fear of missing out)? If so, maybe you need Hooks. This utility app alerts you to just about anything and everything you can think of. Dance night at the club, sports scores, concerts, movie premiers, friends’ social networking posts. Be the first to know about everything that is happening just by selecting from one million alert options, or by setting custom notifications from more than 100 channels. Whether you want to keep up on new video game launches, the weather, or what someone said about you on Facebook, it will keep you from missing out. This app is available for free.
The same creative mind that brought you Civilization II is back with another 4X game. Build your city from the ground up starting in the Stone ages and grow to a powerful metropolis through the future. You can choose your nation, whether it be Britain, Rome, China, Germany, France, Japan, or Greece. Team up with other nations to form a strong alliance and defeat your foes. Recruit historical figures to your military to lead you to victory. Build familiar monuments, like the Pyramids and the Eiffel Tower. Grow your nation to become the largest and most powerful and, ultimately take over the world. This game is available for free.
Have you ever wondered what it would be like to be the boss that fights the hero at the end of a level? Well, now is your chance. This game puts players into the roll of the bad guy. Build a dungeon that entices heroes to enter, while providing traps that keep them from moving forward. The goal is to collect the souls of valiant and brave men who make the mistake of trying to reach the boss at the end. It uses card game mechanics similar to the paper version with the same name. Draw cards to place traps and cast spells that will kill off enemies as they approach. This game is available for free.
I know how important it is to keep track of my hours for the type of work that I do, but I always forget to check the clock before I get started or before I stop. This app uses location to help you track your hours. Set up a geofence and the app will automatically begin tracking your time while you are within the perimeter. You can use it to track how much time you spend a the gym, how long you spend at your favorite restaurant, and more. View the data on a daily grid, or switch to the graph view to see a pie chart. You can even export your data as a spreadsheet in the pro version. This app is available for free.
With a mix between a dungeon crawl adventure and an auto-run 3-D platformer, this game is full of dangerous fun. Players wander the halls of a dungeon filled with colorful treasure chests. It is also filled with gaping holes and protruding spikes. Your hero moves in the direction you swipe without stopping until something gets in his way. If the pathway is narrow and twisted, you must use your swiping skills to quickly turn left, right, and left again. Your reward is riches untold, but finding those riches is a hard task indeed. This game is available for free.
Steven Universe has a game of his own. In this adventure, Steven and the Gems are on a mission to recapture the Light creatures that escaped from a powerful prism. Players fight the Light in a battle arena setting. Tap a hero to attack or defend. Steven acts as a mage while the Gems do battle against the enemy. When Light monsters are destroyed, their crystal essence is collected so the team can send them back to the netherworld. This game is available for $2.99.
- App Recap for March 30
More apps you should check out
- Cards and Castles: shuffle up and fight
- TouchTone review: this is what crowdsourced NSA research might look like
- Review: Todoist 10 brings themes, gestures and plenty of new features
- Apple and IBM roll out eight new apps, bringing MobileFirst for iOS portfolio to 22 apps
- Facebook launches Riff app to make videos with friends
- Giphy for Messenger brings the world’s largest GIF library to Facebook Messenger
- The Trace: Murder Mystery Game puts you in the detective’s seat
- Apple launches new App Store section promoting World Autism Awareness Day
- Microsoft releases Office Lens scanning app for iPhone on App Store
- Adobe Slate review: make beautiful stories to share with others
- Dreamy sleepwalker adventure Back to Bed named Apple’s new Free App of the Week
These apps have been updated
- You can now create logins directly in 1Password’s iOS extension and more
- Facebook updates Messenger with third-party app support
- Kids under 13 can now have Facebook presence with new Scrapbooks feature
- Google brings custom snooze times and other perks to Inbox by Gmail
- Pixelmator for Mac is 50 percent off, its lowest price this year
- Foursquare for iOS enables Handoff with Mac, brings Citymapper directions
- Twitter’s Periscope app receives its first update with live broadcast improvements
- Scanbot 3.7 arrives with Slack and Wunderlist integrations and new document naming feature
- IGN names Game of Thrones: A Telltale Games Series its Free iOS Game of the Month
- Waze now tells you how long you’ll be stuck in a traffic jam
- Twitterrific 5.1 gains drafts, better muffling & muting and much more
- Skype adding 12 new languages to iPhone app, Skype Qik gains 8 new video effects
- Tweetbot for Mac adds support for Twitter-hosted GIF and video image previews