Microsoft on Thursday launched a brand new scanning application for the iPhone, called Office Lens. Available free of charge in the App Store after first launching on Windows Phone a year ago, Office Lens is a handy capture app that turns your smartphone into a pocket scanner.
The app lets you crop, straighten, enhance and makes pictures of whiteboards and documents readable.
Scans of your docs are automatically saved to OneNote and are editable on any device, though you can save them into OneDrive or your preferred cloud storage service.
You can also convert scanned images to Word, PowerPoint, PDF and JPGF formats. Because the software uses optical character recognition (OCR) features, you can search for text in scanned documents and even create new entries in your contacts by scanning business cards.
The app has two modes, Whiteboard which trims and cleans up glare and shadows and Document which trims and colors images “perfectly”.
“Like magic,” says Microsoft, OfficeLens will digitalize notes on whiteboards or blackboards. “Always find important documents or business cards,” notes the software giant. “Sketch your ideas and snap a picture for later. Don’t lose receipts or stray sticky notes again”.
Check out the promotion video below.
A preview of Office Lens for Android phones is available today, with features similar to Office Lens for iPhone. To get the Office Lens for Android phone, follow the steps outlined at the source link below.
Office Lens features:
- Recognizes the corners of a document and automatically crops, enhances and cleans up the image.
- Identifies printed text with optical character recognition (OCR) so that you can search by key word for the image in OneNote or OneDrive.
- Converts images of paper documents and whiteboard notes into Word documents, PowerPoint presentations and PDF files for easy editing and reformatting (see more details here).
- Captures business cards and generates contacts you can add to your phone.
- Inserts images to OneNote or OneDrive (as DOCX, PPTX, JPG or PDF format) and gives you options to save, export and share the image.