Back to Bed by Bedtime Digital Games has been named the App Store’s new Free App of the Week in Apple’s ongoing weekly promotion. This awesomely done three-dimensional indie puzzler has never gone free since its August 2014 debut on the App Store and normally retails for $3.99 a pop.
Do yourself a favor and grab the game right now before you forget about it and the price goes back up next Thursday. This one’s unlike many other freebies on the App Store, in that it does not contain advertising nor In-App Purchases to spoil the fun.
The game features a uniquely designed, unearthly dreamworld (Monument Valley comes to mind), wherein you guide the sleepwalker Bob to the safety of his bed.
You must do this by placing objects in the sleepwalker’s path, by taking control of Bob’s subconscious guardian named Subob.
“A highly stylized puzzler, Back to Bed boasts spellbinding visuals and dozens of surrealist throwbacks — from Dali’s melting pot to Escher stairs and more,” App Store editors wrote.
There are four worlds with 15 “dreams” in each. After you’ve successfully put Bob to bed in the first two worlds, you will unlock Nightmare mode, which doubles the challenge.
To learn more about this finely crafted puzzler, I wholeheartedly recommend checking out Lory’s informative and inspirational review.
Back to Bed highlights:
- Unique surreal and artistic game universe: A strange but beautiful dream universe that mixes elements from the real world and the world of dreams to create something unique, surreal and sometimes a bit scary.
- Isometric puzzle levels: Navigate detailed 3D puzzles that defy the laws of physics, wherein the player must manipulate the strange environment to create a safe path Bob and avoid the dangers of the puzzle.
- Two characters as one: Play as the embodied subconsciousness, in the form of a small guardian creature, trying to save its own sleepwalking body from dangers of the dream world.
- Picturesque visual style: Discover the feeling of playing in a piece of art set in a digital frame. A visual style inspired by hand-painted techniques, surreal art and impossible shapes.
- Nightmare mode: Unlock a more challenging version of the game, made for those who truly want to test their puzzle solving skills and enjoy thinking many steps ahead, or who are just too stubborn to give up.
- MFI Controller supported.
The 125-megabyte app requires an iPhone, iPod touch or iPad with iOS 7.0 or later. It supports Game Center for leaderboards and achievements and has language support for English, German, French, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese (Brazilian), Russian, ,Japanese, Chinese (Traditional) and Chinese (Simplified).
If puzzlers don’t cause your blood to race faster through your veins, maybe you should check out Game of Thrones: A Telltale Games Series, which IGN just named its latest Free iOS Game of the Month.