Well, that’s all folks. It’s about 10pm PST here in the United States, meaning most retail stores are closed, or closing, and the long-awaited iPhone 5 launch day has finally come to an end.
A lot went on over the past 14 hours, as we saw everything from unboxings, to comparison tests, to jailbreaks. So in case you missed anything, we put together this wrap-up of today’s events…
The day started off right, with iDB’s iPhone 5 unboxing. Jeff was first on the team to get his hands on the device, and he went right to work doing what he does best: making videos.
Here’s all of our hands-on iPhone 5 videos:
- iPhone 5 white & black unboxing
- iPhone 5 LTE speed test
- iPhone 5 boot test vs iPhone 4 and iPhone 4S
- Hands-on with Apple’s new Lightning connector
- Confirmed: Verizon iPhone 5 is GSM unlocked
- iPhone 5 vs iPhone 4S camera: low-light test
- iPhone 4S vs iPhone 5 video quality
As the day went on, we learned a lot about Apple’s latest smartphone and some of its new features. And if you purchased an iPhone 5 today, or are planning on it, you should really check this stuff out.
Everything we learned about the iPhone 5 today:
- The iPhone 5 user guide
- Black iPhone 5 susceptible to scratches?
- The iPhone 5 is likely the most durable iPhone yet
- Why third-party Lightning cables may not work
- The iPhone 5 Weather app can function as a world clock
- The iPhone 5 lets you put 16 apps inside a folder
But apart from unboxings and new feature discoveries, a ton of other things happened today on the iPhone 5 news front. Thefts, jailbreaks, and practical jokes were all present and accounted for.
Here’s the notable iPhone 5-related news stories of the day:
- The iPhone 5 goes on sale around the world
- Best Buy can’t keep up with iPhone 5 pre-orders
- Sprint nearly sold out of the iPhone 5
- O2 employee hunted over $240,000 worth of stolen iPhone 5s
- NYPD: register your iPhone and we’ll be able to track it down faster
- The iPhone 5 jailbroken
- The iPhone 5 gets super-glued to the pavement in Amsterdam
- Apple posts 4 new iPhone 5 TV ads to its website
From all of us here at iDB, we’d like to thank you for hanging out with us today. We hope you had as much fun as we had. And you can expect tons more iPhone 5 coverage and commentary this weekend.