Apple has released the first iOS 15 and iPadOS 15 public beta, which means that regular users can try out the new software. iOS 15 and iPadOS 15 comes with a bunch of new features and improvements, and with the public beta, everyone can experience it now.
In this article, you’ll learn how to download and install the iOS 15 public beta, or the iPadOS 15 public beta, on your supported iOS device.
Not all iPhones will support the iOS 15 public beta. Below is a list of the devices that can run the new iOS 15 software.
- iPhone 12 Pro Max
- iPhone 12 Pro
- iPhone 12 mini
- iPhone 12
- iPhone 11 Pro Max
- iPhone 11 Pro
- iPhone 11
- iPhone XS Max
- iPhone XS
- iPhone XR
- iPhone X
- iPhone 8 Plus
- iPhone 8
- iPhone 7 Plus
- iPhone 7
- iPhone 6s Plus
- iPhone 6s
- 1st- and 2nd-generation iPhone SE
- 7th-generation iPod touch
Here’s a list of all the iPads that can run iPadOS 15 public beta.
- iPad Pro 12.9-inch (1st to 5th generation)
- iPad Pro 11-inch (1st to 3rd generation)
- iPad Pro 10.5-inch
- iPad Pro 9.7-inch
- iPad (5th to 8th generation)
- iPad mini (4th and 5th generation)
- iPad Air (2nd to 4th generation)
If your device is in the list, then you may go ahead and try out the iOS 15 and iPadOS 15 public beta. You may still experience some bugs, but it’s definitely much safer than installing the iOS 15 developer beta.
How to download and install iOS 15 public beta and iPadOS 15 public beta
Before you download the iOS 15 and iPadOS 15 public beta, we recommend that you take a backup of your device. You can either perform an iCloud backup, or connect your iPhone/iPad to your Mac or Windows computer to create an offline backup. Either way, if something goes wrong, you will not lose any of your data.
Once you’ve taken a backup of your device, you can now go and enroll your iPhone/iPad in the Apple Beta Software Program. Here’s how to do that.
1) On your iPhone or iPad, navigate to beta.apple.com from Safari.
2) Sign in with your Apple ID and password.
3) Tap on the iOS tab and scroll down. For iPadOS 15 public beta, select the iPadOS tab.
4) Click enroll your iOS Device under Get Started.
5) In the next page that appears, scroll down and click on Download profile under Install profile.
6) Select Allow to download the profile.
7) Open Settings app and tap on Profile Downloaded.
8) You should see the iOS 15 and iPadOS 15 Beta Software profile available for install. Tap on the Install button in the top right corner.
9) Enter your passcode, tap Install twice. Next, hit Done and select Restart to restart your iPhone.
10) After your iPhone is restarted, launch Settings app and navigate to General > Software Update.
11) The iOS 15 Public beta or iPadOS 15 Public beta update should now be ready for download. Tap Download and Install, and enter your passcode to start downloading and preparing the software.
12) Once the download is complete, tap on Install now to begin installation.
Your iPhone or iPad will now restart a couple of times before finishing the public beta install. Wait for a few minutes, and you should have the brand new software ready for use.
Now that you’ve learnt how to install the iOS 15 public beta on your iPhone, and the iPadOS 15 public beta on your iPad, you should try some of the new features. The update brings new features such Live text, which lets you extract text from photos, blur background in video calls, and more. There will be a couple more public betas before the final iOS 15 GM release. The stable update should be available few days before the iPhone 13 launch later this fall.