You know that Instagram has a website you can visit in any browser. The problem is that you can’t post using the Instagram site. However, with a couple of extra steps, you actually can.
Here, we’ll show you how to post on Instagram from your computer using Safari, Firefox, and Chrome. This lets you grab those photos or videos you have saved on your computer and post them to Instagram without opening the app on iPhone or Android.
Post on Instagram from your Mac or PC
Post from Safari
In order to post to Instagram, you’ll need the Developer tab available in Safari. If already you do, you can skip down to posting on Instagram. If you don’t, follow these steps to display it.
1) Open Safari and select Safari > Preferences from the menu bar.
2) Go to the Advanced tab.
3) Check the box for Show Develop menu in menu bar.
You can then close the Preferences and move onto the following steps for posting to Instagram. You can hide the Develop menu when you finish on Instagram by going back in and unchecking the box.
Post on Instagram
1) Open Safari, head to Instagram.com, and sign into your account.
2) Click Develop > User Agent from the menu bar.
3) In the pop-out menu, select Safari – iOS [version] – iPhone.
You should see the Instagram page refresh and display the plus sign at the bottom for you to create your post. From there, you can hit Filter or Edit at the bottom, and continue to share your post as you normally would.
When you finish, you can click Develop > User Agent from the menu bar and select Default (Automatically Chosen) to go back to your normal Safari display.
Post from Firefox
Make sure you’re using the most recent version of Firefox. (The instructions below are done with 86.0.1.)
1) Open Firefox, visit Instagram.com, and sign into your account.
2) Click the Menu icon on the top right and select Web Developer > Responsive Design Mode.
3) Refresh the Instagram page.
You should then see the plus sign at the bottom of the screen just like on your mobile device. Click it to create and share your post as you would in the mobile app.
You can select the drop-down box at the top for viewing the page on a specific device if you like. This is handy for adjusting the screen size. You can also click the X on the top right to have the view cover the window.
Post from Chrome
You can also use the Google Chrome browser to post on Instagram using the same types of steps as Safari and Firefox.
1) Open Chrome, go to Instagram.com, and sign into your account.
2) Click the three dots on the top right and select More Tools > Developer Tools.
3) Click the Toggle Device Toolbar button at the top of the developer tools interface.
4) Refresh the Instagram page.
And there you go! You should see the Instagram website as if it was on your mobile device. Click the plus sign to create your post and then edit, filter, or share as normal.
Like with Firefox, you can use the Responsive drop-down box at the top to select a specific device view if you like. You can also click the X on the top right of the tools to have the view cover the window.
Wrapping it up
Until and unless Instagram lets users post directly on the website, you still have a way to do it in the most common web browsers on your computer. Will you give this a try? Let us know if you do and what you think of the process for your browser of choice.