iOS 12 public beta
Announced on Monday, June 4, iOS 12 includes lots of new features and enhancements, including:
- ARKit 2 brings new tools to the platform, including native Adobe Creative Suite integration, and an all-new Measure app so that you can measure real-life items just by using your iPhone.
- You’ll also see search refinements in the Photos app and a new section called For You where you’ll find sharing suggestions.
- Siri is also getting smarter in iOS 12 thanks to the introduction of a Workflow-like app.
- Apps updated in iOS 12 include News, Stocks, and Voice Memos. The iBooks app is now called Apple Books. It comes with lots of new features and sections.
- CarPlay also gains support for third-party navigation apps.
- Screen Time will help you keep track of how much time you and your kids are spending on iOS devices.
- With Memojis, you can now create your own personal Animoji. The iOS 12 update also includes new Animoji faces and features too.
- Group FaceTime lets you can have FaceTime chats with up to 32 people at the same time.
- There’s also a keyboard trackpad mode on non-3D Touch devices. This includes older iPhones and the iPod touch.
- Apple has added a pair of new QR code and document scanner options to iOS 12 that can be accessed quickly by pressing the Notes or Camera icon on the Home screen with 3D Touch.
- AirPods are gaining the Live Listen feature found in hearing aids certified through Apple’s Made for iPhone hearing aid program.
- A new Automatic Updates option permits your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch to automatically install the latest iOS software on its own as soon as new version is available.
- iOS 12 adds support for Hey Siri even when your iPhone’s battery is running low.
- The update prevents taking screenshots and accessing the Camera shortcut from the Lock screen when your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch has just been restarted or turned on.
- On iOS 12, iPhone X users can now swipe up to instantly close apps without holding them. This change was brought out to ensure iOS 12’s task switcher behaves consistently across iPhone and iPad.
- You can now add an “alternative appearance” under Face ID. In other words, you can now add another person who can open your iPhone X using their face.
- There’s also iPhone X-like gestures on iPad.
New features in iOS 12, iPhone
New features in iOS 12, iPad
iOS 12 beta 2
The second developer beta added a few more tweaks, including new splash screens and Podcast chapters.
Apple will release the final version of iOS 12 to the public this Fall, alongside macOS Mojave, tvOS 12, and watchOS 5.
If you’re a beta tester, you can download the first iOS 12 public beta from Apple’s website.