Whether you want to show off your beautiful wallpaper or simply want your setup to look different from the millions of other iPhones out there, one of the best ways to do that is to use widgets, create a blank Home Screen with no app icons, or add blank icons to your Home Screen. In this tutorial, we will focus on the latter.
These invisible icons will allow you to create empty spaces on your Home Screen to either let the wallpaper shine or arrange your app icons in a very specific way. For example, you can place all the empty icons on the top, which will push your meaningful app icons down, making them easier to reach when using your iPhone in one-handed mode.
This tutorial will show you how to create blank, transparent iPhone icons with no jailbreak required.
How to create empty spaces on your iPhone Home Screen
We have a short video tutorial as well as a written one. As per your preference, feel free to follow any that’s comfortable.
Follow these steps to create blank app icon spaces on your iPhone Home Screen:
1) Tap and hold any empty area on your iPhone Home Screen to enter wiggle mode – the mode when all app icons start shaking. Once in wiggle mode, swipe left until you reach the far right Home Screen page, which should be completely empty of icons, except for the Dock. Take a screenshot of that empty page.
2) On your iPhone, go to iempty.tooliphone.net using the default Safari browser. Don’t use Chrome or any other browser.
3) Scroll down a bit on the page and select the green Add empty icons option.
4) Scroll down and tap Choose File. Find the screenshot you took in step 1, and upload it. The site will show you a preview of your wallpaper. Tap the green Send button.
This process allows the website to create seemingly transparent icons, which in reality are pieces of your wallpapers used as icons. Because these icons are identical to specific areas of your wallpaper, they give the impression of transparency.
5) Once your screenshot has been uploaded, scroll down a bit, and look for the Options section. For security reasons, We recommend using the Bookmark option.
Scroll down a bit more and you will see a grid of icons and your wallpaper in the background. This is where the tedious work begins. For each icon that you want to leave blank on your Home Screen, you will have to select one of the generated blank icons and add it as a bookmark to your Home Screen.
For example, start with the 1×1 icon by tapping on it. Then scroll down and tap the green Add 1 icon button. You will get a preview of the empty icon.
Tap the Share button and select Add to Home Screen and select Add on the next screen. The blank icon will be added to your Home Screen.
6) Repeat the process for all icons you want to make transparent on your Home Screen.
7) When done, rearrange your app icons in a way that fits whatever you want to accomplish.
The downside is that if you change your wallpaper and want to preserve empty spaces on your Home Screen, you will have to go through the process again. Another downside is that accidentally tapping any of the blank icons will launch Safari. This is not a dealbreaker by any means, but this is still something to keep in mind.
In my testing, I found that this method works best with wallpapers with solid or gradient colors. If you choose an image with a lot of colors and activity, the empty icons may not look hundred percent blank.
Other ways to customize your iPhone Home Screen
We have built quite an extensive archive of articles that help you customize your iPhone Home Screen:
- Create custom Home Screen widgets
- Make custom app icons (Where to find icons)
- How to quickly switch between these 3 million wallpapers on your iPhone
- How to automatically change your iPhone wallpaper every day
- How to have the same iPhone app on multiple Home Screens
If you have come up with a clever wallpaper and icon placement combo, please feel free to share your creation in the comments section below.