Watch this hands-on video walkthrough showing you the top 8 new features in iOS 14 you absolutely need to know about and learn how to use.
Video: the top 8 new features in iOS 14
Our videographer Harris Craycraft has kindly put together the following little five-minute video walktrhopugh taking you through what we think are the top eight features you absolutely need to know about iOS 14 and try right now.
List: the top 8 new features in iOS 14
Here are the eight features Harris discusses in the video.
- Siri redesign: You know what they say, good things come in small packages. And that’s just what Apple has done with your favorite virtual assistant in iOS 14 and iPadOS 14. Siri now has a much more compact interface giving you more screen space and letting you multitask while reading Siri’s answers.
- Compact calls: Phone calls no longer interrupt abruptly what you’re doing with that fullscreen interface. This applies to all cellular phone calls, FaceTime calls and VoIP calls through third-party apps like Skype and Facebook Messenger that have implemented this feature. Just swipe up on the banner to dismiss the call or swipe down to access extended phone features and tap to answer.
- Picture in Picture: iOS 14 lets you continue watching a video or making a FaceTime call while you use another app. If your video app supports the feature, just swipe up to go to the Home screen with a Picture in Picture window continuing to play the video. Resize the overlay by pinching or double-tapping it to make the video bigger or smaller. As our tutorial details, you can also drag the overlay to any corner of the screen or minimize it by moving it offscreen to continue listening to the audio.
- Widgets on the Home screen: Apple has redesigned widgets and they can now live on your Home screen, offering glanceable snippets of information. You have widgets in different sizes for many stock apps, including special ones like widget stacks, smart stacks and other Siri-powered widgets.
- Maps cycling routes and more: Maps in iOS 14 brings cycling routes, EV charging stations, curated city guides, the ability to rate places and upload your own photos of places of interest and more. That’s just scratching the surface of what iOS 14’s Maps offers so do watch our separate video for everything new in Maps on iOS 14.
- Messages pinning and more: In Messages, you can pin up to nine conversations up top so they’re easier to find. Other new Messages features include inline replies, customizing group chats with photos, enhanced filtering options, mentions and more.
- Hiding app pages: iOS 14 enables you to organize your Home screen by hidIng individual apps and app pages for quick access to the App Library. Simply tap and hold the horizontal dots at the bottom of the Home screen to enter this mode or swipe across that section to quickly move through your app pages.
- Tidbits: iOS 14 packs in a bunch of quality-of-life improvements that make it a very worthwhile upgrade, such as searching in the emoji drawer.
For a more detailed of all the new features, visit apple.com/ios/ios-14/features/
Other iOS 14 videos from iDB
Speaking of the little things and quality-of-life improvements, here are the ten hidden iPhone and iPad features in iOS 14 that you’ll definitely want to discover.
One of such features is Tap Back, which lets you assign custom actions that automatically run when you tap the back of your phone twice or thrice.
Once you’ve mastered those, progress to the following hands-on video walkthrough video in which Harris highlights everything new in Health, Sleep and Fitness on iOS 14.
In this one, we show you everything you need to know about the new Apple Maps features in iOS 14, including Speed Lights, Electric Vehicle routes and more.
And rounding it all off is this video showing off eight cool new things you can do with your Apple Pencil on an iPad with iPadOS 14.
Your own picks
How do you like our picks for the top eight new features in iOS 14? Speaking of which, what would be on your own list? And what’s your favorite new feature in iOS 14?
Let us know by leaving a comment down below!