There are plenty of reasons why you might want to change a username for one of your social media accounts. Some services make it super easy while others are a little more difficult. As for Skype, you cannot currently change your username but you can change your display name.
Your display name is the one everyone sees when you’re using Skype. So if changing this works for your situation, we’ll show you how to do it.
Change your Skype name in the mobile app
1) If you’re not on the Chats screen, tap that tab at the bottom.
2) Tap your profile photo at the top.
3) Select Skype profile.
4) Tap the pencil icon at the top next to your name.
5) Change your name and tap the checkmark to the right when you finish.
You can hit the arrow at the top to go back and the X to exit your Skype settings and return to your Chats screen.
Change your Skype name in the desktop app
If you use Skype on your Mac, then you likely have the desktop app. And although you can access the spot to change your display name from it, you’ll still be directed to the web.
1) You can get to your Skype settings in the desktop app two ways. Click Skype > Preferences from the menu bar or click the More button (three dots) on the app’s main screen and pick Settings.
2) Select Your Profile.
This should prompt your default browser to open directly to the Skype profile page on the web.
3) Click Edit Profile at the top.
4) Enter a new display name next to Name.
5) Click Save.
When you go back to the Skype app, you should see your new display name. This will change will apply in the mobile app as well. So you only have to change it in one spot.
Change your Skype name on Outlook.com
Happen to be checking emails on Outlook.com? If you use the same account for Outlook as you do for Skype, then you can change your Skype name on Outlook.com too.
1) Click your profile photo on the top right and select My profile.
2) Scroll down a tad and click Go to your Skype profile.
3) Follow Steps 3 through 5 directly above to change your Skype name online.
Wrapping it up
Whether you just got married or divorced, or simply want to change your Skype name for security reasons, Microsoft lets you change only the name that displays. And one other thing to keep in mind:
If you sign in with an email address or phone number instead, then you have a Microsoft account, not a Skype Name.
Have you tried to change a username for a different social network or communications service and were unable to do to? What did you do about it? Let us know!