This has been kind of a slow week for new apps and games. Well, slow for iOS. Just the same, we had some major releases toward the end of the week, and some great updates that brought new features and iPad optimization to some of our favorite titles.
Whether you are interested in recreating history as the head of a new civilization or just want to blow up monsters with your futuristic guns, we’ve got a list of apps and games we think you will enjoy…
The empire building game we’ve all been waiting for is finally here. Civ Rev 2 is specially designed specifically for iOS and comes with plenty of features to make your game experience new again. Add new modern military units like aircraft carriers, jet fighters, and special forces. Construct new buildings like nuclear power plants, the Red Cross, and Silicon Valley. Learn technologies such as modern medicine, lasers, and information technology. You can even reenact historical events and battles with new scenario challenges. The graphics have been enhanced to match the Retina quality of current iOS devices. This game is available for $14.99.
Just like peanut butter and chocolate, this game combines two unlikely forces into one, delicious treat. As a deft trapper, your job is to slice and dice all of the adorable woodland creatures in the forest. Using a variety of touch-based controls, players must use their skills with fast reflexes to kill their prey. Some animals require a quick tap. Others require a swiping slice. You may even have to use two finger zoom to rip the limbs from a delicious amphibian. Described as Hello Kitty meets Mortal Combat, this game will make you feel better about all of those cat videos you secretly watch on YouTube. This game is available for $2.99.
Another hunting game hit the App Store this week, only this one features ferocious monsters instead of doe-eyed woodland creatures. Players embark on a safari of massive proportion as a monster hunter. Start with smaller beasts and use your skinning skills to clean your kill. With your rewards, you’ll be able to upgrade your hunter’s weapons and armor and head out for even bigger prey. Join with up to four friends to take down monsters that are too difficult in solo mode. It’s like all the grinding of World of Warcraft without the dungeon crawl. This game is available for $14.99.
Beards are so popular now that they are being used on cartoon characters and getting their own title in games. This bearded hero looks more like Leo from Leo’s Fortune than any adventurer. Nonetheless, adventuring is what he does. Players guide this hero across an obstacle course on a grid by dragging a finger from one spot to another. Players must change the hero’s color in order for him to make his way through dangerous terrain. Some walls can’t be passed through without a color change. Some enemies will take you down if you walk into their neighborhood wearing the wrong colors. You’ll have to be sure to change your look before you end up in the wrong part of town. This game is available for $1.99.
Nothing says “The Fourth of July” like a good old fashioned action movie filled with military heroes saving the world from alien invasion. This game fits right in with the traditional Independence Day mantra. Players control a retired war vet who gets brought back into the action after an alien attack on earth. Real-life hero, Buzz, is the father of the famed action star Bill Killem. Take on a variety of missions to places like the Statue of Liberty and Grand Central Station to save the world and destroy the enemy in this action platformer. This game is available for free.
Simplicity and organization is key to this photography app. It features a basic, simple camera interface without all the extra controls and filters. Find the shot, tap the shutter button, and you’re done. What makes this app stand out is that you can tag photos before you even take them. Headed to a get together with your college chums? Tag your memories “college” and find them easily in the future. You can also share your pictures to social networking sites through Polymo and the tags you’ve created will automatically appear as hashtags so others can find them easily. This app is available for $1.99.
The longer mobile gaming exists, the more creative game developers are getting with coming up with unique ways to explore touch screen features. This new iPad game is part traditional platformer and part touch screen magic. Players control Oz as he adventures through treacherous dungeons. Oz will walk and jump without your help, but he needs you to tap on crates to get them out of his way. You can tap Oz to make him switch positions, and hold your finger on the screen to make him stop. The rest of the adventure is up to Oz. This game is available for $0.99.
More apps you should check out
- Shutter stores every photo you take in the cloud for free
- The best apps for taking selfies
- App Recap: start your week with these 8 apps
- App Recap: 10 great apps for iPhone and iPad
- Mobile-exclusive Civilization Revolution 2 now available on iOS
- App Recap: a mid-week look at 8 must-have apps
- Tinker app will make sure you stay productive
- Oscura Second Shadow review: retro platform gaming comes out of the shadows
- MTN: the first mountain simulator for iOS
- Capcom’s iOS port of ‘Monster Hunter Freedom Unite’ now available
These apps have been updated
- Apple announces iTunes U 2.0 with new creation tools and discussion feature on iPad
- 1Password with Touch ID authentication and Safari Share sheet support shown off
- Pebble 2.3 firmware now live with notification skipping with a double-click
- Yahoo’s Mail for iPad picks up mail filters and personalized web features
- Readdle’s Scanner Pro now half price to celebrate 6M downloads, iOS 8 app in the works
- Vine updated with Loop Counts, revamped Activity section and more
- Spotify updated with new sorting and filtering options, prompts for playlist duplicates
- All three Infinity Blade games are on sale this holiday weekend
- Facebook updates Pages Manager with new commenting and posting features
- Facebook Messenger now available for iPad