If you ever need to record the screen on your device, there’s more than one way to do it. And the method you use depends on what you want the recording for and what you plan to do with it.
Maybe you want to record your iPhone screen to show a family member how to do something. Maybe you want to record your iPad screen for a how-to video on YouTube. Or maybe you want to record one or the other for a tutorial on your blog.
Whatever the reason, we’ll show you three easy ways to record your iPhone or iPad screen.
How to record your screen
Use the built-in Screen Recording tool
The quickest and easiest way to capture your screen is with the built-in screen recorder on your device. You simply access it from the Control Center, record what you want, and then tap to stop recording. The video is automatically saved to Photos for you to do with what you wish.
The Screen Recorder icon in Control Center looks like the shutter button in the Camera app. So if you don’t see it, here’s how to add it.
Add Screen Recording to Control Center
1) Open Settings and select Control Center.
2) At the bottom under More Controls, tap the plus sign next to Screen Recording. This will add it to the top where you can drag to put it where you like in the list of Included Controls.
3) Tap Settings to go back and then close your Settings.
Use Screen Recording on iPhone or iPad
1) Open your Control Center and tap the Screen Recording icon. You’ll see the icon begin counting down from three seconds, so you have time to close Control Center and prepare for your recording.
2) Capture your recording and when you finish, tap the red indicator at the top of your screen to stop.
3) Confirm that you want to Stop recording. You’ll see a message that the video was saved to Photos.
A nice feature of the built-in screen recorder is that you can record with or without sound. So if you don’t want to capture those alert or selection sounds, check out our how-to for recording with and without sound.
Use QuickTime Player on Mac
If you plan to use the video on your Mac, maybe for editing or uploading, then you can record your iPhone or iPad screen with QuickTime Player on Mac. This way, you have the video right on your computer screen.
1) Connect your iOS device to your Mac with your Lightning cable and open QuickTime Player.
2) Click File > New Movie Recording from the menu bar.
3) In the QuickTime window, click the arrow next to the Record button. Select your iOS device for the Camera and optionally for the Microphone input too. You can also choose High or Maximum for the Quality.
4) Click the Record button and jump over to your iPhone or iPad to perform whatever actions you want to capture.
5) When you’re done recording, hit the Stop button in QuickTime.
You’ll then have your video right there in QuickTime on your Mac for editing, reviewing, saving, or uploading.
Use a third-party screen recorder
Of course, you can search the App Store for screen recording tools and find plenty. But if you’re looking for a recommendation, check out TechSmith Capture. This is a free tool made by the creators of Snagit. So if you happened to use Snagit on your Mac, you’ll like this option.
TechSmith Capture works similar to the Screen Recording tool on your device. But we’ll walk you through the steps just the same.
1) Once you download the app, open and tap the Record button on the top left.
2) Make sure TechSmith Capture has a checkmark and tap Start Broadcast. Optionally, you can turn the microphone on to record your device sound too.
3) You’ll see a three-second countdown above Screen Broadcast, giving you time to prepare to record. Move about your device capturing what you need to and tap the red indicator at the top when you finish.
4) Confirm that you want to Stop recording. You’ll see a message that the video was saved to the app.
When you open TechSmith Capture, you can view your recording, save it, share it via AirPlay, Facebook, Mail, or another service, or export it to companion apps like Snagit and Camtasia.
TechSmith Capture is designed for iPhone and iPad and available for free on the App Store. If you use a different free third-party app for screen recordings that you’d like to recommend, leave us a comment below!
Wrapping it up
When you want to record your iPhone or iPad screen, you have these three easy ways to do it. Use whichever is most convenient or appropriate for what you want to accomplish. Which one will you use and why? Let us know!