If your browser of choice on Mac is Firefox or you use it in addition to Safari, then there’s no better way to zip around the web than with keyboard shortcuts.
This list of keyboard shortcuts for Firefox don’t just work on Mac either. So if you have a Windows computer at work and a Mac at home, for instance, remembering these shortcuts can help you on both.
The Firefox window and tabs
This first set of shortcuts for the Firefox window and its tabs includes some of the handiest ones on the list.
- Open a new window: Command + N
- Open a new private window: Command + Shift + P
- Open address or search in new window: Shift + Return
- Enter/Exit full screen mode: Command + Shift + F
- Close a window: Command + Shift + W
- Undo close a window: Command + Shift + N
- Quit Firefox: Command + Q
- Open a new tab: Command + T
- Select a tab 1 through 8: Command + 1, Command + 2, Command + 3, etc. up to 8
- Select the last tab: Command + 9
- Cycle through open tabs to the right: Control + Tab (must be enabled in Firefox > Preferences > General)
- Cycle through open tabs to the left: Control + Shift + Tab
- Open address or search in new tab: Option + Return
- Mute/Unmute a tab: Control + M
- Select the address bar: F6 or Command + L
- Complete a .com address in the address bar: Control + Return
- Close a tab: Command + W
- Undo close a tab: Command + Shift + T
Whether you want to go back, forward, refresh, or move up and down the current page faster, check out these shortcuts.
- Back: Command + Left Arrow, Command + [ (left bracket), or Delete
- Forward: Command + Right Arrow, Command + ] (right bracket), or Shift + Delete
- Reload: F5 or Command + R
- Reload and override cache: Command + Shift + R
- Zoom in: Command + Plus Sign
- Zoom out: Command + Hyphen
- Reset zoom: Command + 0 (zero)
- Move down a screen: Space Bar
- Move up a screen: Shift + Space Bar
- Move to the top: Command + Up Arrow
- Move to the bottom: Command + Down Arrow
- Save the page: Command + S
- Print the page: Command + P
Searching in Firefox
There are several keyboard shortcuts to help you preform searches in Firefox.
- Find: Command + F
- Find again: Command + G or F3
- Find previous: Command + Shift + G or Shift + F3
- Quick Find: / (Slash)
- Close Find or Quick Find: Escape
- Focus Search Bar: Command + K or Command + Option + F
Bookmarks and History
View your bookmarks, add a new one, or review and clear your history with these shortcuts.
- Open/Close the Bookmarks sidebar: Command + B
- Open the Bookmarks library: Command + Shift + B
- Bookmark the current page: Command + D
- Bookmark all tabs: Command + Shift + D
- Open/Close the History sidebar: Command + Shift + H
- Clear recent history: Command + Shift + Delete
Wrapping it up
These keyboard shortcuts are for the most common actions you would likely take in Firefox. But if you want shortcuts specifically for the PDF viewer, audio and video controls, or developer tools, you can check out the full list of Firefox keyboard shortcuts.
And for more ways to navigate faster on your Mac or in your apps, browse through our Keyboard Shortcuts section.