When Apple introduced the Audiobooks app on Apple Watch with watchOS 6, it was another great addition to the wearable. You can listen to your books on a walk, run, or while working out instead of music.
But like music, books take up space. And you might not realize that your Watch automatically downloads Audiobooks when it’s charging. While this may be fine for some, it may not be okay for others. If you’re one of the “others,” we’ll show you how to stop Audiobooks from automatically downloading to your Apple Watch.
Turn off automatic downloads for Audiobooks
To disable this option on your Apple Watch, open the Watch app on your iPhone and then follow these steps.
1) Select the My Watch tab, tap Audiobooks.
2) On the Audiobooks screen, you likely have the options at the top enabled. These are for Reading Now and Want to Read.
Note the statement below those options: “Automatically fill available space on your Apple Watch with audiobooks from Reading Now and Want to Read.”
3) Turn off the toggles and then you can manually choose the audiobooks you want to download, when you want to download them.
Add audiobooks manually
Tap the Add Audiobook option at the bottom of that screen and select the audiobook from your library that you want. To find more books, tap the link at the very bottom for Audiobook Store.
*Just note that five hours from each book you add will be downloaded automatically if there is enough space.*
So when you finish with a book, you should remove it. Swipe it from right to left and tap Delete.
Do more with your Apple Watch
For additional tips and how-tos for your wearable, check out our related Apple Watch articles.
- How to limit the number of photos stored on Apple Watch
- How to add, remove and manage music on your Apple Watch
- How to use Apple Watch with gym equipment
- How to send your current location on Apple Watch in Messages
- How to clear all your notifications at once on Apple Watch
Wrapping it up
Listening to audiobooks on your Apple Watch is a terrific way to enjoy yourself if you’re not in the mood for music or simply can’t wait for that next chapter of your book. So making sure that your storage space is being used for the books you really want is important.
Do you listen to audiobooks on your Watch? If so, which genre is your favorite?