You can send and receive SMS text messages on your iPhone from those who have a different brand of device automatically. But, your iPad and Mac work a little differently. You may have noticed that you can only exchange text messages using the Messages app if the other person has an Apple device.
Fortunately, you can change this so that you never miss a message no matter which device you’re using at the time. Here’s how to send and receive SMS text messages on iPad and Mac.
Grab your iPhone to make the change
It all starts with your iPhone and the Settings app, so head there and then do the following.
1) On the Settings screen, scroll down to and select Messages.
2) Tap Text Message Forwarding.
3) Enable the devices that you want to send and receive text messages on by moving the sliders to green.
Don’t see your iPad or Mac in the list?
Keep in mind that you must be signed into Messages with the same Apple ID as your iPhone. So, if your device isn’t listed, head over to it and sign into Messages.
1) Open Settings.
2) Scroll down to and select Messages.
3) Enter your Apple ID and password.
4) Tap Sign In.
5) If iMessage isn’t enabled after you sign in, enable it by moving the slider to green.
6) You should receive a confirmation of this action on your iPhone (and other devices). Click OK.
1) Open Messages.
2) Click Messages > Preferences from the menu bar.
3) On the iMessage tab, sign in with your Apple ID and password.
4) You should receive a confirmation of this action on your iPhone (and other devices). Click OK.
Now, just follow the first set of instructions at the top to enable the Text Message Forwarding on your iPhone. Your iPad and/or Mac should now be in the list for you to select.
Wrapping it up
Being able to send and receive text messages on devices other than your iPhone can be really convenient. Maybe you’re playing a game on your iPad or working on your Mac. You don’t have to worry about having your iPhone with you to text.
Are you going to set this up for your iPad or Mac now? If so, you might also be interested in how to make your other devices ring when you receive a phone call on your iPhone too!