Changing the sort order of people in your Contacts app can help you find who you need much faster. If you feel that first names are easier to sort by, then you can make this change quickly. Here’s how to sort your contacts by their first names on iPhone, iPad, and Mac.
Sort Contacts by the first name
On iPhone and iPad
Follow these steps to change the sort order for your Contacts on iPhone or iPad:
- Open the Settings app and tap Contacts.
- Tap Sort Order.
- Choose First, Last.
Here’s how to change the sort order for your Contacts on Mac:
- Open the Contacts app, click Contacts in the menu bar, and select Preferences.
- Make sure you’re in the General tab.
- In the Sort By drop-down box, pick First Name.
Sometimes it’s the simplest settings that help us do things quicker. And adjusting the sort order for your Contacts list is just one of them.
- 30+ things I always do when setting up a new iPhone
- How to speed dial on iPhone (8 ways)
- How to get Google contacts on iPhone
- How to add a contact to your iPhone Home Screen and call them in one tap
- How to hide contacts on iPhone and ensure they can’t be seen or found
- How to add or fix wrong “My Card” info in the iPhone Contacts app