If you’re an Instagram user, then you might be familiar with the Stories feature that rolled out earlier this year. It lets you share photos and videos with an audience for up to 24 hours before disappearing completely.
But did you know you can also mention certain people in your Instagram Stories?
What happens after mentioning someone in your Story?
When you mention someone in your Story, that person receives a direct message-like notification alerting them that you’ve mentioned them.
If the person follows you, they’ll see the direct message notification immediately with a preview of your Story. If they aren’t following you, they will see a message request they are going to need to accept before they can see what you’ve done.
Once you mention someone in your Story, that person can see they’ve been mentioned, but it won’t appear on their profile or in their tagged photos tab.
It’s also important to note they will be unable to remove themselves from your Story. Anyone who can see your Story can tap on their username from it to visit their Instagram profile, so take this into consideration.
How to do it
If you want to tag someone in your Story, you can do so by following these simple steps:
1) Launch the Instagram app on your iPhone.
2) Tap on the + button at the top left of the navigation bar.
3) Tap on the shutter button to take a picture or tap and hold on it to capture a video.
4) When finished, tap on the white Aa button at the top right of the interface to add text.
5) When the keyboard appears, type the @ symbol followed by the username of the account you want to mention.
6) Tap on the correct account you want to mention from the list of search results.
7) Tap anywhere outside of the keyboard to dismiss it.
8) Tap on the white check mark button to add the finished product to your Story.
Now you have successfully mentioned another Instagram user in a photo or video in your Story.
You are able to mention up to 10 people per photo or video when you follow these steps. Each person will receive an individual notification when you do so, so each person can view and respond to the notification individually.
After the 24 hours are over and the media disappears from your Story, the message notification that appeared in all the users’ inboxes of whom you’ve mentioned will also disappear along with the Story item.
Related posts you might be interested in:
- How to add photos and videos from your camera roll to your Instagram story
- How to hide Stories on Instagram
- How to save Instagram posts as drafts
- How to filter comments on Instagram based on keywords
- How to save cellular data in the Instagram app
Did you know you could mention other users in your Instagram Story? Share in the comments!