When first playing with Instagram Stories, I couldn’t figure out how to upload picture or videos that I had already taken. Instead, it seemed I was forced to first shoot using the Instagram app, and upload from there. After a few minutes, I finally figured it out, and because it’s not that obvious, I thought I should post about it as it may help a few readers wondering the same thing: how do you post from your camera roll to an Instagram story?
Uploading photos and videos from your library to your Instagram story
As it turns out, the feature was hiding in plain sight.
1) In the Instagram app, tap on the plus sign and swipe to Story. This will take you into camera mode.
2) This is where you can choose to record a video, or snap a photo. But what we want to do is bring up our photo library. To do this, simply pull up on the screen, and an image picker will be revealed at the bottom.
3) From there, choose the photo or video you want to upload. You may of course annotate it before uploading it. If you want to use several photos, tap Select Multiple and choose each one.
Also, even though you’ll see photos you’ve captured in the last 24 hours at the top, simply scroll down to see additional camera roll pictures and videos. Or, tap the drop-down list for Last 24 Hours and choose from your Favorites, Media Types, or other albums you have in Photos.
- How to add Live Photos to your Instagram stories
- How to post longer videos to your Instagram Stories
And that is all there is to it. If you want to post from your camera roll to your Instagram story, it’s not complicated, but not completely obvious either.