Instagram users who search for things frequently leave a trail behind that shows everything they’ve searched for, and to some who are used to hiding their tracks, this could be considered a privacy concern.
If you want to clear your search history from the Instagram app on your iPhone or iPod touch, then follow along as we take you through the simple steps to do so in this tutorial.
Any time you search for a page, a person, or even a trending topic, and you tap on any of the search result Instagram logs the pages you open under your search history.
This history appears any time you tap on the search field and attempt to perform a new search from the Instagram app, as shown below:
So let’s say you wanted to clear all that and keep anyone from seeing what you’ve searched for in the past.
It’s really easy to do, and we’re going to show you how below.
Clearing your history from Instagram
To clear your search history from the Instagram app, you’ll want to follow these steps:
1) Launch the Instagram app and tap on your Profile tab from the bottom of the app.
2) Once on your profile, you’ll tap on the Settings cog at the top right of the app.
3) From the list of settings, scroll down to the bottom and tap on the Clear Search History button.
4) Confirm your selection by tapping the Yes, I’m sure button in the pop-up prompt.
Now you’re done. That wasn’t so hard, was it?
Note: You can confirm that your search history has been removed by revisiting the Search tab and looking to see if your searches are gone. If you followed the steps above correctly, your previous searches should now be gone:
Not everybody has the need to clear their search history from Instagram because, honestly, sometimes it’s a great way to get back to the interesting pages that you’ve found in the past.
On the other hand, some people like to cover their tracks and prevent their activity on their devices from leaving even the slightest trail, and for those people, it’s good to know how to do things like this.
If you’re not already using Instagram on your iPhone or iPod touch, you can download the app for free from the App Store and join in on the photo-sharing fun.
- Reorganizing the Instagram app’s photo filters
- Sharing Instagram videos to Vine
- Managing multiple accounts in the Instagram app
- How to delete your Instagram account
Do you like to clear your search histories in your apps after using them? Share why or why not in the comments below!