Prolific leaker Evan Blass on Tuesday morning published on his Twitter account a purported high-resolution press rendering of Samsung's upcoming Galaxy Note 8 phablet.
As iPhone 8 delay rumors persist, Samsung gearing up to launch Note 8 soon
Samsung's decision last year to launch its super-sized though ill-fated Note 7 smartphone earlier than usual backfired big time, but this time around the South Korean chaebol is betting that launching a next-generation Note ahead of iPhone 8 will steal Apple's thunder.
The head of Samsung's mobile division, Koh Dong-jin, confirmed to partners last Friday that a Note 8 event in New York has been scheduled for August 23, The Bell reported.
The executive apparently told local news outlets that the next Note will hit shelves overseas, including the US and UK in September, followed by an October release in other nations.
A recent report said iPhone 8 supply may not ramp up until November, with the iterative iPhone 7s/Plus models possibly facing production delays of their own.
On the other hand, The Investor said a Samsung executive would only confirm the month of August, not a concrete date. According to DigiTimes, Koh refuted market speculation of Galaxy S8 sales falling short of those for its predecessor since launch.
Cumulative Galaxy S8 sales, he said, are 15 percent higher than those of Galaxy S7 compared on the same number of selling days thus far. As for the Note family, shipments of these products totaled 2.3 million units in South Korea since their debut in 2011, he revealed.
Smartphone leakster Evan Blass speculated that Note 8 should feature the same edge-to-edge 6.2-inch OLED screen with an 18.5:9 aspect ratio as Galaxy S8 Plus.
Other rumored features should include Samsung's signature S Pen stylus, virtual assistant Bixby, a rear dual-camera system positioned horizontally and comprised of two 12-megapixel sensors, a rear-mounted fingerprint sensor and more.
It should cost slightly over $900 in the US and be offered in in black, blue and gold.
Reuters was first to report a month ago that the Note brand would continue with an eighth-generation device due for an announcement in August.
Samsung working on dual-camera Note 8, launch event planned for August
Intent on continuing the premium Note brand, Samsung is working on an eighth-generation Note with a dual-lens camera on the back, like iPhone 7 Plus, and a larger screen. The upcoming phone should be formally announced at a media event in New York City in August, Reuters reported today.
Sources familiar with the matter have described the next Note as being “marginally larger” than the 6.2-inch version of Samsung's Galaxy S8 smartphone.
The Note 8 event should be held in the second half of August, ahead of Apple's presumed iPhone 8 event the following month. Last year, Samsung held the Note 7 event a bit earlier than usual in an effort to divert attention from Apple's iPhone 7 announcement.
Watchers have speculated that Samsung, in its desire to beat Apple, made the decision to launch Note 7 earlier than usual. But the South Korean conglomerate shot itself in the foot because the issues with the device's battery have gone unnoticed with its quality assurance teams, which were not given enough time to properly test the device.
Is reviving the ill-fated Note brand a wise move on Samsun's part? Let us know your thoughts by posting a comment below.
Samsung delays Galaxy S8 following Note 7 fires
During its press conference Monday morning, Samsung shared the findings of Note 7 investigations conducted by itself and three independent industry firms. In the aftermath of Note 7 fires, Samsung's won't be unveiling its next-generation iPhone rival at the Mobile World Congress in February as previously thought, Samsung told Reuters.
Samsung shares results of Note 7 investigation, finds two separate flaws with the batteries
Samsung on Monday held a press conference to share results of its investigation into Note 7 fires that forced the South Korean firm to temporarily recall and eventually permanently discontinue its supposed iPhone killer.
For starters, the original battery made by Samsung SDI was irregularly sized and had a flaw in the upper right corner that could cause a short circuit.
A third-party battery made by Amperex Technology was used in replacement Note 7 units, but it suffered from a manufacturing issue that could cause the battery to catch fire because of a welding defect. The company announced new and enhanced quality assurance measures to improve product safety.
iPhone 8 said to use fixed flex 5.8″ screen with embedded sensors
Apple's next iPhone is expected to adopt a 5.8-inch wraparound AMOLED display that utilizes a fixed flex screen like Samsung's ill-fated Galaxy Note 7.
That's according to a note Cowen and Company analyst Timothy Arcuri issued to investors on Wednesday, a copy of which was obtained by AppleInsider. Arcuri refers to the so-called tenth anniversary iPhone as “iPhone X”.
The analyst claims the 4.7-inch iPhone 7s and 5.5-inch iPhone 7s Plus models may switch from LCDs to AMOLEDs, too, if Samsung Display is able to supply enough panels to Apple.
Samsung planning a software update to render remaining U.S. Note 7 phones useless
Not even the exploding batteries have stopped die-hard fans of Samsung's ill-fated Note 7 from using the remaining phablets that are still in the wild. However, Samsung wants all Note 7 devices to be safely returned and is working on a software update that will render the remaining Notes in the United States useless, according to Samsung's official blog post and a statement given to The Verge.
Samsung apologizes to users for Note 7 debacle with full-page ads in major U.S. newspapers
Samsung took a full-page ad in three major U.S. newspapers to apologize to its customers for the Note 7 recall. The Korean Herald newspaper is reporting that the company's letter to customers was signed by Gregory Lee, who is president and CEO of Samsung Electronics North America.
The ad appeared in Monday editions of The Wall Street Journal, The New York Times and The Washington Post.
“An important tenet of our mission is to offer best-in-class safety and quality. Recently, we fell short on this promise. For this we are truly sorry,” reads the ad.
Note 7 recall has Apple boosting iPhone 7 orders to snatch market share from Samsung
Samsung is expected to lose a few billion dollars over the ill-fated Note 7 which got discontinued after numerous reports of spontaneous battery fires. The Note 7 debacle has created an opportunity not just for Apple and Google, but just about every vendor out there that builds high-end smartphones.
According to DigiTimes, Apple has now increased iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus orders for the crucial holiday quarter as it looks to snatch some market share from Samsung.
Explo-Sung case makes your iPhone look like an exploded Galaxy Note 7
I wish I thought about this: someone's actually made a case with a decal designed to make your iPhone look like an exploded Galaxy Note 7 from Samsung. Aptly named Explo-Sung iPhone Skin, it's available for all iPhones from the iPhone 5 onward. The $24.95 case is made by a company called UniqFind which happens to sell a range of skins for Mac notebooks and iOS devices on Amazon.
KGI: Apple could add 5-7 million iPhone sales due to Note 7 discontinuation
Global Note 7 recall and discontinuation could prove to be a blessing to Apple, helping the Cupertino firm boost iPhone sales by five to seven million units, according to KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo.
In a note to clients this morning, a copy of which was obtained by MacRumors, the analyst speculates that Apple and Chinese Android manufacturer Huawei could be the primary beneficiaries of the Note 7 discontinuation, with Apple potentially seeing an influx of orders for the iPhone 7 Plus due to its dual-camera system.
US government bans Samsung’s Note 7 from all domestic flights
The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) and The Department of Transportation (DoT) have banned Samsung's recalled Note 7 smartphones from all domestic airline flights in the United States beginning Saturday, officials announced in an emergency order.
A few days ago, Samsung permanently stopped production of the troubled smartphone following incidents in which replacement devices it deemed safe exhibited the same fire-prone defect, even when powered down.