For the first time, customers in Finland, Norway and Sweden can enjoy Apple Maps enhancements such as Look Around, AR navigation, 3D views, etc.
- What’s happening? Apple has rolled out its data-laden maps with features like Look Around and augmented reality directions in Finland, Norway and Sweden.
- Why care? With this update, users in those countries gain more detailed maps and features like Look Around and 3D landmarks for the first time.
- What to do? Fire up the Maps app and check out 3D views of Finland’s Olofsborg, Norway’s Akershus fortress and Sweden’s Palmhuset.
Rich Apple Maps data live in Finland, Norway and Sweden
“Apple Maps is the best way to explore and navigate the world while protecting your privacy,” Apple’s Eddy Cue said in a statement translated from the Apple Sweden website. “We’re excited to offer even more users this experience with the new features we’re launching today.” Customers in the aforementioned European countries can now enjoy richer mapping data on their iPhone, iPad and Mac.
The improvements include:
- 3D landmarks
- Indoor maps at airports
- Natural language guidance
- More detailed roads and parks
- Faster, more accurate navigation
- More accurate location information
- Google Street View-style Look Around
- Turn-by-turn walking directions in augmented reality
This is a server-side change, so no iOS update is required to enjoy enhanced maps.
This marks the first time customers in the above countries have been treated to some of the coolest Maps features like detailed three-dimensional landmarks and Look Around. Feel free to check out 3D views of landmarks like Olofsborg in Finland, Akershus fortress in Norway and Palmhuset in Sweden.
Enjoying Look Around
Look Around is a feature similar to Google’s Street View that provides street-level photography. If Apple gathered Look Around images for any given location, hit the binocular icon that appears on the map to explore seamless 360-degree panoramic views. If you’d like to use turn-by-turn walking directions in augmented reality, touch the cube icon, raise your iPhone, and follow the onscreen instructions.
Apple Maps feature availability
Some features supported by Apple Maps may not be available in certain countries. Visit these webpages to see which Maps features are available in your region.
Apple maintains a fleet of specialized vehicles equipped with LiDAR sensors and cameras that roam countries worldwide to capture detailed mapping data. Head to maps.apple.com/imagecollection and select your country on the menu to see when Apple will conduct ground surveys in your region.
High-fidelity Apple Maps in other countries
Since debuting in the United States in 2019, the revamped Maps experience has expanded to Canada, Australia, Singapore, the United Kingdom, Ireland, Germany, Italy, Spain, Portugal, France, Monaco and New Zealand, plus European countries like the Netherlands, Belgium, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg and Switzerland.
New features in the Maps app that are available with iOS and iPadOS 16 include route planning with up to 15 stops and support for transit cards and fares.