If you want to hang out with your Instagram followers, you can do a group Instagram video chat. This is a fun way to get together with a few pals at the same time to make plans or just catch up. But it’s not the only way to meet. You can also create a private room using (Facebook) Messenger and Instagram together.
The nice thing about using a chat room is that you can have up to 50 people, whereas with a group Instagram video chat, you can only currently have four. So if you have family around the world or friends around the country that you want to chat with at once, here’s how to create a Messenger Room to video chat through Instagram.
Make sure Instagram and Facebook are connected
Before you can create a Messenger Room, which connects through Facebook, you must have your Instagram account linked to your Facebook account. To do this, follow these steps.
1) Open Instagram on your iPhone and go to your profile.
2) Tap the Menu button (three lines) on the top right.
3) Select Account > Linked Accounts.
4) Choose Facebook and follow the prompts to link your account.
If you see your account name next to Facebook, then you’re already connected.
Create your Messenger Room
You don’t have to go to Messenger to create your room. With Instagram and Facebook connected, you can create a Messenger Room in the Instagram app by following these steps.
1) Open Instagram and tap the paper airplane icon on the top right.
2) Tap the video icon at the top.
3) Choose Create a Room.
4) Confirm that you want to Create Room as [your Facebook name] by tapping that blue button.
5) Select the Instagram followers you want to invite to your room. You can include a message if you like or just hit Send or Send Separately per your preference. Alternatively, you can tap Skip to add people later.
6) You’ll see a confirmation that your room was created. You can tap Copy Link to grab a link to your room and send or share with others. Or, just tap Join Room. Keep in mind that no one you invite can enter the room until you join.
7) Tap OK.
Once you’re in the Messenger Room, you have controls at the top to enable your rear-facing camera and to turn off the camera completely. You also have an option to Share Link directly with other friends which opens your Share Sheet.
To leave your room, tap the X on the top right. This allows you to leave the room and get a call when someone joins, so tap Leave. Or pick Cancel if you change your mind.
If you receive an invitation from an Instagram user to join a room that they create, you’ll see the notification in your message thread. Simply tap the link to visit the room and follow the prompts to join.
You don’t need to have an Instagram, Facebook or Messenger account to join a Messenger Room from a link in your direct messages.
Wrapping it up
Having a variety of ways to stay in touch with faraway followers, friends, or family is wonderful these days. Whether you’re stuck at home, away on a trip, or interesting in hosting a big group video chat, Instagram and Messenger make it easy!
Are you going to give the Instagram Messenger Rooms a try? Let us know if you like it or run into any issues!