Many apps on your iPhone will change orientation as you rotate your screen. These include apps like Mail, Calendar, Messages, and some third-party apps. But there are times when you accidentally move your device in a way that rotates the screen, which can be distracting or even annoying.
If you’d like to stop your iPhone from rotating the screen, this short tutorial shows you how.
Disable your iPhone screen rotation
On your iPhone, access the Control Center. For iPhone X or later, swipe down from the right corner and for other iPhone models, swipe up from the bottom.
Tap the screen orientation lock icon. Once the screen rotation is locked, the icon will show in white and red. This is a clear indication that it’s enabled.
Now, when you turn your device, the screen will no longer rotate. And when you want your iPhone screen rotation back, just tap that icon in your Control Center.
Just keep in mind that if you have an app, like a game, that is only available in landscape mode, it will still display in that orientation. You’ll only notice a difference with apps that work in both views like those mentioned above.
How to turn off iPhone screen rotation using AssistiveTouch
If you feel uncomfortable reaching the top right corner of the big iPhone display, you can use AssistiveTouch to disable the iPhone screen rotation.
- Open the Settings app and tap Accessibility.
- Tap Touch > AssistiveTouch and enable AssistiveTouch if not already.
- Depending on your preferences, tap Single-Tap, Double-Tap, or Long-Press. I’m going with Double-Tap.
- Select Lock Rotation. Now, when you tap twice on the circular virtual button, it will lock or unlock screen rotation.
If you find this how-to helpful, you might check out some related tips and tutorials for additional assistance.
- How to lock the rotation and orientation on iPad
- How to force your iPhone to landscape mode while watching videos
- How to easily rotate videos on iPhone or iPad
- This tweak helps break the habit of recording videos in portrait orientation
- SmartRotate: a video-friendly Rotation Lock for your iPhone
Wrapping it up
The rotating screen on your iPhone can be convenient for certain apps, but not all. Luckily, Apple has given us an easy way to lock and unlock the rotating screen when needed.
Do you find your iPhone screen rotating at an inopportune time?