More and more developers are taking the freemium approach, making their apps available for free with the ability to unlock features or content in exchange of a recurring fee charged to the user.
If you have subscribed to such an app in the App Store, we are going to show you how to find out what you are subscribed to, and more importantly, how to cancel App Store subscriptions for apps you might not be using any longer.
Our own iDB app takes the subscription approach. The app is free to download in the App Store and offers the user access to all our newly published articles. However, in order to unlock additional features such as unlimited bookmarking, offline access and ads removal, the user is asked to pay either a monthly or annual fee.
As time goes and users start using different apps, one might forget about active subscriptions and keep paying a recurring fee for nothing. In a previous post, we showed you how to view the status of your app subscriptions, but in this post, we’ll go one step further and show you how to cancel App Store subscriptions for apps, either from your iPhone, iPad, or Mac.
How to cancel your subscription to an app directly from iPhone or iPad
1) On your iPhone or iPad, open the Settings app.
2) Tap on your Apple ID at the top and select Subscriptions.
3) Tap on the subscription you wish to cancel, then select Cancel Subscription, and finally, tap on Confirm.
Note that even if you cancel App Store subscriptions for apps, you might still have some time left to enjoy the benefits of those subscriptions. In the example above, even though I have just canceled the subscription, I can still enjoy all the features of the iDB app for a few more weeks.
How to cancel an in-app subscription on Mac
1) Launch the App Store on your Mac.
2) In the Menu Bar, go to Store > View My Account…, and sign in to authenticate.
3) Scroll down to the bottom and click on the Manage link next to the subscription section. This will load all your active and expired subscriptions.
4) Click on Edit next to the subscription you want to put an end to.
5) Finally, click on Cancel Subscription, and confirm.
It’s very easy to miss these $0.99 or $1.99 fees charged to your account every now and then, which is why it’s a good idea to check your subscriptions from time to time and make sure you are indeed using everything you are paying for.