Looking for some new apps and games to try out this weekend? iDB has you covered with our latest Apps of the Week post. This week’s list includes some great titles such as the language-learning app Upmind, and Espresso Chat, which offers a new take on group messaging. We also have two new games that you won’t want to miss.
Looking to learn a new language? You may want to check out Upmind. The developers claim it’s the first smart gaming app that lets you learn foreign words fast and easy using GIFs, audio files, and even live quotes from Twitter. Spend 10 minutes a day in Upmind, and in a year you could know more words than the average native speaker. This app is available for free.
Espresso is a group chat app with topics, built for people who want to get stuff done fast. If you’re working on something with family, roommates, co-workers or friends, and email threads are killing you, this is the app for you. Think of it like a more informal version of Slack. Like all messaging apps, everyone in your circle will have to download Espresso before it becomes useful. This app is available for free.
Tweetcat for Twitter
It’s been a while since we’ve seen a new take on the iPhone Twitter client, and this one looks pretty interesting. It’s called Tweetcat for Twitter and it’s a client that sorts your Timeline into custom topics that you can access with a single tap. So if you just want to see the top tech tweets you can, or the top sports tweets, etc. It’s kind of like an automated version of Twitter Lists. This app is available for free.
Looking for a hyper-charged arcade smash title designed to test your skills and reflexes? Then you’re going to love PKTBALL. It comes from Laser Dog, the same team that built hits like PUK and HoPiKo, and it’s essentially a quick-twitch arcade game that constantly has you battling for coins and high scores. It’s free-to-play, so there are some ads and IAPs, but early reviews of PKTBALL say they’re not debilitating. This game is available for free.
Chameleon Run is a unique, fast and challenging autorunner with a colorful twist. Jump, switch and run through expertly crafted levels that will have you running back for more. The game actually reminds me a lot of a new-aged Sonic, with simple two-button controls, stylish graphics, and fun jumping mechanics like double jump and head jump. This game is available for $1.99.
More apps you should check out
- Focus on what’s good in your life with the Five Minute Journal app
- Microsoft’s Hub Keyboard now available on iPhone
- Cut the Rope: Time Travel goes free as Apple’s App of the Week
- Reddit: The Official App hits the App Store
- Reposting Vine videos to Instagram with VineGrab
- Cable network Starz launches $9 per month streaming package for iPhone, iPad and Apple TV
These apps have been updated
- You can now translate webpages within Safari with Microsoft’s updated Translator app
- Facebook app gaining Live button, video broadcasts now more Periscope-like
- Starting today, contents of your WhatsApp chats are now protected with full end-to-end encryption
- Real Racing 3 gains three new cars, adds fresh new events and more
- Infuse 4.1 brings dark mode from iOS version to Apple TV, 24-bit HD audio, watched icons & more