When you send someone an email, it usually shows the name you set while creating the account. Suppose you made a typo while setting up your email, or used your nickname or a fake name, and now every email you send has this name you no longer like.
In this tutorial, we show you how to change the name that’s displayed in the email you send to someone from your iPhone, iPad, Mac, and iCloud.
How to change your email display name on iPhone or iPad
Interestingly, in my testing with multiple different accounts of two popular email services (iCloud, Gmail) and three well-known email apps (Apple Mail, Gmail, Edison Email), I found that changing your name is app-specific (more on this later). So, make sure to follow the steps as per the email app you use on your iPhone or iPad.
Here’s how to change the display name for emails you send via the email account added to the stock Mail app:
1) On your iPhone or iPad, go to Settings > Mail > Accounts.
2) Select the email account you want to edit.
3) Tap the email address shown next to Account.
4) Delete the current name and replace it with the new one.
5) Tap Done to save the change.
The screenshot below shows the new name in action:
Note: To change the display name for your iCloud email, you’ll have to change your name in Apple ID or use the iCloud web method (which will only work for emails sent via the iCloud web or Mac Mail app and, surprisingly, not in the iPhone Mail app).
For your email accounts added to the official Gmail app, you will have to change the Google account name (steps below). Once you update the name there, the same reflects in Gmail. And since your Google account is used for various services like YouTube, Drive, etc., this new name will show everywhere. If you don’t want that, you can add this Gmail account to your iPhone, follow the above steps to change the display name, and use this Gmail account in the iOS Mail app to send emails.
If you insist on using the official Gmail app, you will have to change your Google account name. Follow these steps to change the display name for emails you send using the email accounts added to the official Gmail app:
1) Inside Gmail, tap your profile picture from the top right and then tap Manage your Google Account.
2) Tap Personal info.
3) Tap Name.
4) Enter your new name and tap Save.
Third-party email apps
The steps to change the email display name inside other apps will vary according to the app. But most likely, you will find it under that email app’s settings > account name > Sender Name.
Note: Some types of email accounts, such as Outlook or Exchange, may require you to use their app or website to make the change.
One email name change doesn’t work everywhere
I added my same Gmail account to:
- Official Gmail app
- Edison Email app
- My iPhone for using it inside the inbuilt Mail app
- I sent an email from the official Gmail app, and the email sent displayed the name as per my Google account (Ankur Thakur)
- I changed the Sender Name for the same account in Edison Email, and all emails sent via this app used that different name (Ankur Edison Mail)
- Finally, I changed the sender email name from the iPhone Settings app, and all emails sent via the inbuilt Mail app displayed this new name (Ankur Apple Mail)
In other words, these sender display names are app-specific. So, make sure you follow the above steps accordingly. It also means that you can use the same email account in different apps with different sender names!
How to change your sender email display name for the Mail app on Mac
1) On your Mac, open the Mail app and press Command + Comma (,). You can also go to Mail > Preferences from the menu bar.
2) Click Accounts and select the email account you want to edit.
- For iCloud users: If you are trying to edit the name of an iCloud email account, click the Email Address dropdown menu, and select Edit Email Addresses. This will open up iCloud.com in a web browser. From there, you will be able to edit your name.
- For Gmail and other email services users: Click the email address displayed in the Email Address dropdown and then click Edit Email Addresses. This will open a new menu. Simply click your existing name and change it to anything you want.
How to change the name displayed on emails sent from iCloud web
1) Go to iCloud.com and log in using your Apple ID username and password.
2) Click the Mail app icon.
3) Once the Mail app opens, click on the small gear icon at the top of your screen and choose Preferences.
4) Go to the Accounts tab.
5) Select your iCloud email or iCloud alias email.
6) Enter a new name, and click Done to save the change.
Limitations of a name change in emails
There is one big limitation to the changes you might have made to your display name in your Mail app. If you send an email to someone who has previously saved you as a contact on their device, then your emails will still show under whatever name they attached to your contact card.
For example, if my wife changes her display name from Tina to Josephine, her emails will still show as coming from Tina on my device because that is the name I use for her in my contacts.
This limitation doesn’t happen if you send an email to someone who has not saved your contact info before.
Check out next: