There could be several reasons why one may want to convert a video to an audio file. A long speech, a video lecture, a music video, are some examples of things people usually want to convert to audio only. Converting a video to audio will also mean that you save a lot of space on your iPhone or Mac.
As you can see, there are plenty reasons to convert video to audio format. In this tutorial, we will show you some simple ways to do this on your iPhone or Mac.
Convert video to audio on iPhone
Generally, you could use a third-party app on your iPhone or iPad to convert video into audio. However, there’s an easier way to extract the audio from a video file by using the Shortcuts app that’s been available since iOS 12. Follow the steps below and you’ll soon be a pro at converting video to audio on iPhone.
Note: Before we begin, make sure that you’ve used Shortcuts on your iPhone before. If not, you will have to use one of the available ones from the Shortcuts app, and then enable ‘Allow Untrusted Shortcuts‘ in Settings > Shortcuts.
1) Install the Export Audio shortcut developed by RoutineHub user jakeyounglol.
2) Open this link on your iPhone and tap on Get Shortcut to automatically launch the script in the Shortcuts app.
3) In the preview page for the shortcut, expand the Encode option and change the audio format to M4A as this could be shared easily.
4) Now tap on Add Untrusted Shortcut.
The new shortcut to rip audio from a video file should now be activated. Here’s how to use the shortcut.
1) Launch the Photos app on your iPhone or iPad and select a video.
2) Tap the Share button and scroll down to find the option Separate Audio.
3) The audio file will be saved to your iPhone and is accessible via the Files app.
As you can see, the Export Audio shortcut is a blessing in disguise, and works as advertised. Instead of using a third-party, you can simply use this shortcut and get your audio file in no time. Of course, third-party apps will provide you more options, but if you need a quick workaround, this method is gold.
Convert video to audio on Mac
Your Mac has a built-in tool that allows you to quickly grab the audio from a video file. Here’s how to use it.
1) Right click any video file on your Mac, and select the Encode Select Video Files option.
2) Now click the drop down menu for Settings and choose Audio Only.
3) Click on Continue and you’ll have your audio file in the same folder as the video file.
Another quick way to convert video to audio on Mac. The audio file will be saved in the AAC format, which can be converted to other formats if need arises.
It’s an easy job to separate or extract audio from a video file thanks to the available shortcuts and built-in tools in iOS and macOS. With the help of available shortcut scripts, you won’t need to use third-party apps to convert a video to audio. The above mentioned methods are easy, and are guaranteed to work. We hope this tutorial helped you get an audio only file from a video on your iPhone, iPad, or Mac computer.