Sharing is great for things like your location if you’re traveling, photo albums for family occasions, and calendars to keep everyone in sync. But there may come a time when you want to stop sharing. Whether your location, photos, calendar, or something else, here’s how to stop sharing with someone you previously shared with.
Stop sharing with someone
Stop sharing your location
If you’ve previously shared your location with others and you want to stop, you can simply disable location sharing on iPhone and iPad.
Go to Settings > Privacy > Location Services and turn off the toggle for Share My Location.
You can also disable location sharing in the Find My app and for only certain people. Check out our tutorial to stop sharing your location for these other options.
Stop sharing a photo album
Maybe you have a shared album in Photos that you want to stop sharing. Whether with someone in particular or everyone you shared with previously.
- On iPhone, open Photos, go to the Albums tab, and choose the Shared Album.
- On Mac, open Photos and pick the Shared Album on the left.
Then, tap or click the contact icon at the top and do one of the following:
- Disable the toggle or uncheck the box for Public Website. Those with a link to it will not be able to view the album on iCloud.com.
- Select a person to stop sharing with them. Pick the person’s name and choose Remove Subscriber.
- Delete the shared album if you want to remove the album completely. This will delete the photo album from your device along with anyone else’s that you share it with. If you have the photos in another album or in your Library, those photos will remain intact.
For more details on removing someone from a shared album, take a look at our tutorial to stop sharing albums in Photos.
Stop sharing your calendar
If you no longer want to share a calendar and its events, open the Calendar app.
- On iPhone, tap the Info icon next to the calendar name. Select the person and tap Stop Sharing.
- On Mac, choose the calendar in the list on the left. Click the contacts icon to the right of the name, select the person, and hit your Delete
You can also turn off the Public Calendar setting if you prefer to stop sharing it completely.
You can also review our complete tutorial to stop sharing your calendars.
Stop sharing your activity
You can stop sharing activity on your iPhone or Apple Watch in just a few taps.
- On iPhone, open the Fitness app and select the Sharing Choose the person and pick Hide my Activity or Remove Friend.
- On Apple Watch, open the Activity app and swipe right to the Sharing Select the person and pick Hide my Activity or Remove Friend.
Take a look at our complete how-to for removing activity sharing from Apple Watch.
Stop sharing with Family Sharing
You can remove yourself from a Family Sharing group as long as you are not the Family Organizer and are over the age of 13.
- On iPhone, open Settings > Apple ID > Family Sharing. Choose your name and tap Leave Family.
- On Mac, open System Preferences > Family Sharing. Select your name and click the minus sign
To remove another person or for further information, check our how-to for removing a family member or yourself from Family Sharing.
Wrapping it up
You might be in a situation where you only wanted to share something for a short time or specific people. And if that changes, this tutorial should help you stop sharing what you need to, when you need to.
Have you had trouble turning off sharing for something on your device? Let us know in the comments below, or on Twitter, and how you fixed the issue.