If you want to add something descriptive to your photos and videos, whether to make them easier to find or to explain them better, you can include captions. With iOS 14, iPadOS 14, and macOS Big Sur, Apple brought the ability to add captions in the Photos app right on your device.
Adding the caption is easy once you know where to find the feature. So here we’ll show you how to add captions to images and videos in Photos.
Add a caption in Photos on iPhone and iPad
Open the Photos app on your iPhone or iPad and then do the follow to add some descriptive text.
1) Double-tap the photo you want to caption. This will put it in full view.
2) Swipe up from the bottom of your screen.
3) You’ll see the Add a Caption box display. Type in your caption and tap Done.
Add a caption in Photos on Mac
With the macOS Big Sur update, you can easily add captions to pictures and videos in Photos there too.
1) Select a photo or video and either right-click and pick Get Info or click the Info (small letter “i”) button in the toolbar.
2) Enter the text for your caption in the Add a Caption field of the window that displays.
3) Close the Info window and your caption will be saved.
Search with captions
Once you add descriptions to your photos and videos, you can use the words to search.
Open the Search option in Photos and enter text that would be in the caption. You’ll see your results display, which should include the photo or video you searched for. You’ll also see that the search text was found in the caption.
When you update your other devices to iOS 14, iPadOS 14, and macOS Big Sur, those captions will sync through your iCloud Library.
Wrapping it up
Adding a caption to your picture or video is a great way to be more descriptive. You might explain the image further or just want to make sure it’s simpler to search for if needed.
Are you going to start adding captions to all of your items in Photos on iOS? Or maybe you only plan to use the caption for certain types of photos or videos? Let us know! You can comment below or ping us on Twitter!