We get used to handing out our emergency contacts at doctor’s offices, hospitals, and the like. But how many of us take the time to set them up on our device?
Having your emergency contacts set and ready on your iPhone can be an enormous help when you need them. Whether you have a health condition that can put you in danger or not doesn’t really matter. It’s about having that insurance at your fingertips.
In this tutorial we’ll show you a few quick ways you can set up the emergency contacts on your iPhone. Since it only takes a minute or two, it’s worth your time. Hopefully, you’ll never need to use them, but if you do, they’ll be ready.
Add your emergency contacts on iPhone
Set up emergency contacts in the Health app
If you have a health condition that may put you in a situation where you need immediate help, you can take advantage of a few features in the Health app like creating your Medical ID. And with that, you can set up your emergency contacts.
1) Open the Health app and tap your profile on the top right.
2) Select Medical ID. If you have not yet set up your Medical ID, you’ll be asked to do so.
3) Tap Edit at the top and then scroll down to the Emergency Contacts section.
4) Tap the plus sign to add a contact.
5) Choose your contact and their phone number and then pick their Relationship to you.
6) You can add another contact If you like or simply tap Done at the top.
Set up emergency contacts in the Contacts app
Setting up emergency contacts right in the Contacts app is the most obvious spot for most.
1) Open the Contacts app and select the contact you want to add.
2) Scroll to the bottom of that contact’s details and pick Add to Emergency Contacts.
3) Pick the phone number to use, if they have more than one.
4) Select their Relationship to you and you’re done.
Set up emergency contacts from the Phone app
You can easily add people you receive calls from to your Contacts app and this includes emergency contacts.
1) Open the Phone app and head to the Recents or Favorites tab.
2) Next to the call you received from the person you want to add, tap the Info icon (small letter “i”).
3) Scroll to the bottom of that contact’s details and pick Add to Emergency Contacts.
4) Pick the phone number to use, if they have more than one.
5) Select their Relationship to you and you’re set.
Set up emergency contacts in your Settings
If you happen to have your Settings app open, you can also add emergency contacts there. However, this will simply direct you to the Health app.
Go to Settings > Emergency SOS and tap Edit Emergency Contacts in Health.
Add, remove or change an emergency contact
If you want to add, remove, or change an emergency contact, you can do so in any of the locations above where you added them.
Also, anyone that you add will display with a red asterisk in the Contacts app. So you can easily spot those important people.
Wrapping it up
For that added sense of security, having your emergency contacts at your fingertips on your iPhone is important. And be sure to check out how you can add emergency contacts on your Apple Watch too. Are you going to take a few minutes to set up your emergency contacts?
For additional help with the Emergency SOS feature overall, check out our Emergency SOS section.
And to make sure calls from your emergency contacts come through if you have Do Not Disturb enabled, check out our tutorial.