You may be familiar with the Do Not Disturb (DND) feature on your device that lets you silence calls and notifications without turning off your device. You can schedule Do Not Disturb so that it’s always enabled at bedtime. You can also have Do Not Disturb turn on automatically on Apple Watch during your workouts.
But what if you just want to enable the feature for a short time outside of your schedule or workout?
You can enable Do Not Disturb temporarily. On iPhone, iPad, and Apple Watch, you can turn it on for just an hour, until evening, morning, or until you leave a location. And on Mac, you can flip a switch to enable it or have it turn on for an hour, until morning, when the screen is locked, and more. Here’s how.
1) Enable Do Not Disturb temporarily on iPhone and iPad
In iOS 15
Here’s how to temporarily enable Do Not Disturb on iPhone running iOS 15:
1) Open Control Center on your iPhone.
2) Tap Focus to expand it.
3) Tap the three dots next to Do Not Disturb.
4) Choose For 1 hour, Until this evening, Until tomorrow morning, or Until I leave this location.
If you want to disable the DND before the hour is up or before you leave the spot, just access it again from Control Center, and tap the purple crescent moon icon. You can also tap Focus and uncheck the option you selected.
If you do not see the Until I leave this location option in Control Center’s Do Not Disturb panel, go to the Settings app > Privacy > Location Services and make sure it’s switched on. Next, scroll down and tap System Services. From here, enable Location-Based Alerts. Now, you’ll see “Until I leave this location” as one of the temporary DND options.
Please note that you may not see Until this evening and Until tomorrow morning at the same time.
In iOS 14 and earlier
Maybe you’re going to take a power nap and want to turn on Do Not Disturb for an hour. Or maybe you’re somewhere where silence is needed, like a library, class, or interview. Here’s how to turn on Do Not Disturb temporarily on iPhone running iOS 14 or earlier.
1) Do Not Disturb has a permanent spot in your Control Center. So access your Control Center and then tap and hold the Do Not Disturb icon which is a moon.
2) Select For 1 Hour, Until this evening, or Until I leave this location.
You can also enable Do Not Disturb manually from the Control Center or your Settings.
- In the Control Center, simply tap the icon to enable it.
- In Settings, select Do Not Disturb and turn on the toggle.
2) Enable Do Not Disturb temporarily on Apple Watch
You can do the same things on Apple Watch with the Do Not Disturb feature. Here are the steps to temporarily turn on DND on watchOS:
1) Swipe up from the bottom of the screen to access Apple Watch Control Center. If you aren’t on the watch face, press and hold the bottom of the screen and then swipe up.
2) Tap the moon icon.
3) Tap Do Not Disturb and choose an option like On for 1 hour, On until tomorrow morning, or On until I leave.
3) Enable Do Not Disturb temporarily on Mac
In macOS Monterey
Starting with macOS Monterey, Macs now have the new Focus feature and Do Not Disturb is a part of it. Here is how you can temporarily enable DND on Mac running macOS Monterey:
1) Click the Control Center icon from the top right of the menu bar.
2) Click Focus.
3) Below Do Not Disturb, choose For 1 hour or Until tomorrow morning.
In macOS Big Sur and earlier
If you’re running a previous version of macOS, you don’t have the same options for Do Not Disturb on Mac as you do on iPhone, iPad, or Apple Watch.
1) Open System Preferences with the icon in your Dock or Apple icon > System Preferences from the menu bar.
2) Select Notifications and click Do Not Disturb on the left.
3) You can check the boxes on the right to enable Do Not Disturb when the display is sleeping, when the screen is locked, and when mirroring to other devices.
If you want to simply enable Do Not Disturb manually, this takes only a few clicks.
1) Open your Notification Center with the button in the menu bar.
2) Swipe down slightly, and you’ll see the toggle for Do Not Disturb. Enable the toggle and your Mac will stay in that mode until the next day or until you turn the toggle off.
There is one more way to quickly enable Do Not Disturb on your Mac using a keyboard shortcut. You can check out that tutorial too if you like.
DND activated temporarily!
Putting Do Not Disturb on a schedule is the ideal way to be sure you aren’t bothered by calls and alerts. But there are plenty of other times when silencing your device for a short time is necessary. Do you take advantage of Do Not Disturb on your device?