AltStore just might be one of the best ways to get the unc0ver jailbreak on your iPhone or iPad. In fact, Pwn20wnd himself said that AltStore would become the official means of deploying the latest version of the unc0ver jailbreak, and that still stands today.
If you have an iPhone or iPad running iOS 12.2 or later that unc0ver supports, then you can use AltStore to install the unc0ver jailbreak. In this tutorial, we’ll walk you through the steps necessary so that you can manage your own unc0ver installation without awkwardly sitting around without your jailbreak ever again.
What you should know
AltStore uses your Apple ID to sign the unc0ver app for seven days. The concept is similar to that of Cydia Impactor, except that it doesn’t require you to tether your device to a computer. Instead, you’ll merely need your host computer and iOS device to be connected to the same Wi-Fi network for AltServer to work its magic. You can make a burner Apple ID if you aren’t comfortable entering your actual Apple ID into a third-party interface, and honestly, we’d recommend it.
While the unc0ver jailbreak supports all versions of iOS 11, iOS 12.0-12.4.1, and iOS 13.0-13.5, AltStore can only be deployed on handsets running iOS 12.2 and later. Unfortunately, this is a requirement of AltStore, and not of unc0ver. Those using earlier versions of iOS will need to look into alternative installation methods, such as Cydia Impactor, signing services, or Xcode.
AltStore is available for both Mac and PC. This tutorial will show you how to use AltStore with the macOS interface, but Windows users should also be able to make do given AltStore’s simple user interface and because many of the steps occur on the handset itself.
How to install the unc0ver jailbreak with AltStore
If you’re ready to install the unc0ver jailbreak with AltStore, then follow the steps below to get started:
NOTE: If you’re already using AltStore, then you can skip down to Step 16 to install the unc0ver jailbreak with it.
1) Download AltStore from the official altstore.io website. Use either the macOS or Windows links, depending on what pertains to you.
2) Double-click on the downloaded ZIP file and drag the ensuing AltStore icon to your Applications folder.
3) Launch the AltStore application.
4) Click on the AltStore icon in the Menu Bar and click on the Install Mail Plug-in option:
5) In the pop-up prompt, click on the blue Install Plug-in button:
6) Enter your administrator password if prompted, then click OK:
7) Once finished, you’ll get a prompt saying the Plug-in was installed, click OK:
8) Open your Mail app and go to Mail -> Preferences in the Menu Bar:
9) In the Mail preferences, launch the General tab and click on the Manage Plug-ins… button:
10) Click on the checkbox next to AltPlugin.mailbundle and then click on the Apply and Restart Mail button.
AltStore is now configured. We will now install AltStore on your iOS device.
11) Connect your unc0ver-compatible iPhone or iPad with iOS 12.2 or later to your computer with a USB to Lightning cable.
12) In the Menu Bar, click on the AltStore icon and go to Install AltStore -> [Your device name].
13) Log in with your Apple ID when prompted, then click Install:
If you see a prompt that AltStore has been used on another device previously, just click Continue and keep moving on. You may or may not see this.
When complete, your Mac will display a notification banner like the one below:
14) AltStore now appears on your Home screen, but don’t launch it yet. Instead, navigate to Settings -> General -> Device Management and tap on your Apple ID:
15) Tap on the blue Trust [Your Apple ID] button, then when prompted tap on the red Trust button:
AltStore should now be set up on your iPhone. Next, we will install unc0ver with AltStore.
16) Visit unc0ver.dev in Safari on your iPhone or iPad and tap on the Open in AltStore button, then tap on the blue Open button in the prompt:
17) AltStore will now open to begin loading the unc0ver.ipa file, enter the same Apple ID you used above if prompted and then tap on the Sign In button:
18) After AltStore finishes, the unc0ver app will appear in your list of apps as sideloaded:
19) Return to the Home screen, launch the unc0ver app, and tap on the big blue Jailbreak button:
After unc0ver jailbreaks your device, you can enjoy installing jailbreak tweaks and the whole nine yards. Congratulations on your jailbreak!
Using AltStore to jailbreak your device with unc0ver couldn’t be easier, and it’s incredibly reliable. Even if you can’t find a signing service to get things done for you, you can probably rely on AltStore as a good backup.
Have you used AltStore to get the new unc0ver jailbreak yet? Let us know how it went for you in the comments section below.