The redesigned Home screen in iPadOS looks and works great, and you can even adjust app icon size to your liking by choosing between having bigger icons with more space between them or fitting more content on the Home screen by using a tighter grid.
This feature wasn’t mentioned alongside other iPadOS capabilities during the June 3 keynote talk at Apple’s annual Worldwide Developers Conference that took place June 3-7 in San Jose, California. Instead, the iPhone maker added it at a later stage as part of the fifth developer beta of iPadOS that got released on July 29, 2019.
Although you’re still not permitted to arbitrarily resize app icons on the iPad Home screen to any dimensions you like, Apple now gives us two icon size choices, called More and Bigger.
The former, as the name suggests, makes app icons a bit smaller in order to squeeze more of them on the Home screen. This settings uses a 6×5 grid to fit up to 30 icons on each page of the Home screen. The latter swaps the 6×5 grid for a bit roomier 5×4 grid that fits up to 20 icons that appear a bit bigger with more space between them.
Customers have complained for ages about wasted space between iPad app icons on the Home screen. The new App Icon Size setting in iPadOS alleviates those complaints a bit, and that’s a good start.Follow along with iDB as we show you how to change app icon size on iPad.
How to adjust iPad app icon size
To choose between two app icon sizes for your iPad’s Home screen, follow the steps below:
1) Open Settings on your iPad with the iPadOS software or later.
2) Choose Display & Brightness from the root menu on the lefthand side.
3) Scroll down to the section headlined App Icon Size, then make your choice:
- Bigger: Shows up to 20 larger app icons by setting the app grid to be 4×5.
- More: Shows up to 30 smaller app icons by setting the app grid to be 6×5.
By default, iPadOS uses the More setting unless you change to Bigger manually.
Apart from the difference in icon size, the two settings do not bring other changes to how you interact with the Home screen pages and app icons on your iPad. Oh, almost forgot: when using More, the widget area all the way to the left is a part of your Home screen. When Bigger is active, the same Today View, as it’s called, appears as a translucent overlay similar to Control Center and Notification Center, as evidenced on the screenshot included below.
The app icon size setting is an iPad-exclusive feature.
It is unavailable currently on any iPhone with the iOS 13 software, including larger-screened Plus models and 6.5-inch Max models that in the past used different Home screen layouts in portrait and landscape.
Let us know how you like this nifty little iPad feature by leaving a comment down below!
All the new Home screen features in iPadOS
iPadOS brigs the following Home screen enhancements:
- New layout: The Home screen has been redesigned with the icons arranged in a tighter grid. The refined layout gives you more room for apps and information.
- Pin widgets: Get at‑a‑glance information by pinning your Today View widgets on the Home screen.
- Favorite widgets: Use the widget editor to choose your favorite widgets, which will always appear on the Home screen. Swipe up to see all your other widgets.
iPadOS is compatible with these iPads:
- 12.9-inch iPad Pro
- 11-inch iPad Pro
- 10.5-inch iPad Pro
- 9.7-inch iPad Pro
- iPad (6th generation)
- iPad (5th generation)
- iPad mini (5th generation)
- iPad mini 4
- iPad Air (3rd generation)
- iPad Air 2
Watch our video overview of the new iPad-only updates embedded below.
Need help? Ask iDB!
If you like this tutorial, pass it along to your friends and leave a comment below.
Got stuck? Not sure how to do certain things on your Apple device? Let us know via [email protected] and a future tutorial might provide a solution.
Submit your own how-to suggestions via [email protected].