Converting document and file types seems to be a regular occurrence nowadays. A Pages document needs to be converted to Word, a Keynote document needs to be converted to PowerPoint, and an HEIF file need to be converted to a JPEG. The list is really endless these days.
To help you get one step closer to converting the type of document you need, this tutorial shows you how to convert a PDF to an image file on iPhone and iPad with a free app called PDF Converter: Docs To PDF.
Download PDF Converter: Docs To PDF
First off, don’t let the name of the app fool you. PDF Converter: Docs To PDF does more than its name implies. One of its many features is converting PDF documents to PNG images.
After trying over a dozen similar apps to convert PDFs to images, this one stood out because it offers:
- Availability on both iPhone and iPad
- No upgrade costs or in-app purchases for PDF to image conversions
- No apparent limitations on the number of conversions
- No wait time to receive the converted file
- No upfront cost; the app is free
- Tons of extra features such as document scanning, drawing tools, merging and splitting PDFs, file management, various supported file formats, and much more
Items in the above image on the right show as “Purchased” but they came free with the app
Convert a PDF to image with PDF Converter
After you snag the app, you can pop it open to get used to its interface if you like. But, if you want to jump right into converting your PDF, here’s how to do it.
1) Open your PDF using whichever app you normally do that offers sharing ability.
2) Open the sharing options and you should automatically see Copy to PDF Converter in the list.
3) Tap to send your document to the PDF Converter app.
The PDF Converter app should open right up with your document in view. Tap Done on the top left corner to go back to the main screen and follow these steps to convert it.
1) Tap the folder called Imported Docs and you should see the PDF you just added.
2) Tap Edit on the bottom of the screen.
3) Select your document if necessary.
4) Tap PDF to Images in the menu that pops up on the bottom.
5) Tap the arrow on the top to go back to the main screen and select the folder for your file.
Your image will be inside of that folder. You can tap to view it and then send, save, or share it from within the app.
The image preview shows a black background but the image file retains the original white
Wrapping it up
Converting a PDF document to a PNG image file is fast, easy, and free with PDF Converter: Docs To PDF. Unfortunately, you cannot select a different image file format like JPG, but if a PNG works for you, then this is the app you want.
Do you use a different, free app for converting PDFs to images that you’d like to recommend? If so, leave it in the comments below so that we can give it a try too!