Instagram Direct lets you quickly send engaging pieces of content you’ve stumbled upon on the service to friends and followers. But what if you’d like to stop anyone from seeing your online status? Thankfully, you can easily hide your Instagram activity status to prevent your followers from seeing when you’re online and available to chat on Direct and elsewhere.
- Instagram activity status denotes to anyone if you’re online and available to chat.
- Your online status appears as a dot on posts, in Direct and on friends lists.
- Disabling your Instagram activity status also stops you from seeing everyone else’s.
- Turn this feature off in Instagram settings to boost your privacy on the service.
No app update is needed to use this handy feature.
Seeing when someone’s active on Instagram
Here’s how you can see when someone’s active on Instagram:
- Instagram: A green dot appears next to your user name on posts, in Direct and on lists of friends that pop up when you share a post from your feed.
- Direct inbox: In your Direct inbox, you’ll see your friends’ and followers’ most recent activity status, like “Active 25m ago”, “Active yesterday”, “Seen”, “Typing” and so forth.
You will see Instagram activity status for all of the people you follow on the service, as well as for any friends who you’ve chatted with through the Direct feature.
Seeing that green dot might encourage a follower to message you more often than they normally would. The good news is, you can hide Instagram activity status, which will also stop you from seeing online statuses of all Instagram users.
Here’s how to hide your Instagram status.
How to hide Instagram activity status
You can adjust the visibility of your online status in Instagram’s settings.
1) Open the Instagram app on your iPhone or iPad.
2) Tap the Profile tab in the bottom-right corner.
3) Tap the hamburger icon in the top-right to show the menu, then hit Settings.
4) Tap Activity Status underneath the Privacy heading.
5) Slide the switch next to Activity Status to the OFF position.
Doing so will stop broadcasting your Instagram activity status.
From now on, none of the people you’ve interacted with on Instagram will be permitted to see your online status, though they can still message you without restrictions. To show you online status again, toggle the switch to the ON position.
Hiding your Instagram activity status prevents you from seeing anyone else’s online status.
Need help? Ask iDB!
If you like this how-to, pass it along to your support folks and leave a comment below.
Got stuck? Not sure how to do certain things on your Apple device? Let us know via [email protected] and a future tutorial might provide a solution.
Submit your own how-to suggestions via [email protected].