If you use the Contacts app, you’ve likely noticed by now that the cards for your contacts contain certain information by default. Each one has mobile phone, birthday, and a few email fields. But, what if you want something different?
You can customize the card template for your Contacts app on Mac. Add fields, remove fields, and have just the details you want.
Access the card template
To get started, open the Contacts app on your Mac. Then, follow these steps to access the template.
1) Click Contacts from your menu.
2) Select Preferences.
3) in the pop-up window, click Template from the tabs at the top.
Customize the card template
Now you will see those fields that are being used with each of your contacts. To remove an existing field, click the red minus sign. To add another field for that item, click the green plus sign.
You’ll notice that some fields, like birthday, don’t let you add another because, well, everyone only has one birthday. But, you can add more email addresses, phone numbers, and physical addresses if you like.
If you want to include fields that you don’t see by default, this is simple.
1) Click the Add Field arrow at the top.
2) Select the field you would like to add. Note that the fields on the top half of the list will apply to the main contact area of the card while the ones on the bottom half will be added to the card field area.
Now that you have added fields, removed, fields, or both, you can change the labels too. But, this is only available for those fields on the bottom part of the card.
1) Click the arrows next to the name of the field.
2) Select the label you want to use. Alternatively, you can click to create a Custom label. This lets you name the field anything you want.
Wrapping it up
Customizing the cards for your contacts on Mac helps you access just the information you need. So, you can eliminate the clutter and get right to the details you want for those important people. If there’s something you’re struggling with in the Contacts app, let us know. You can also check out more tips for the app in our Contacts section.