Called a Live Broadcast, this feature that Instagram rolled out allows users to share live videos as Instagram stories in real time. Followers can then watch the live stream, submit comments, and Like the video has it is being streamed.
In this post, we will show you how to share a live broadcast on Instagram, and how you can connect with your followers in the process.
How to start a live broadcast on Instagram
1) Launch the Instagram app and tap the plus sign at the bottom.
2) Scroll to the right of the small menu from Post to Live.
3) Tap the shutter button to start your live broadcast.
And you are now live on Instagram! Your followers may receive a notification telling them that you’re streaming live inside the app and they may join you.
You will know you are streaming when you see the pink LIVE icon in the upper right corner of the screen. From there, you can do several things, such as:
- Double tap the screen to switch camera
- Write a comment
- Pin a comment by tapping and holding on your finger on it
- Unpin a comment
- Turn off commenting altogether
- See how many people are watching
- See how long you’ve been streaming for by tapping on the pink LIVE icon
How to end a live broadcast on Instagram
When you want to stop your live broadcast, tap the X on the top right and select End Now. You can then share to IGTV, download the video, or delete it.
What happens to the video once it’s ended?
Once you terminate your live video, it will just disappear completely. That means that no one will be able to replay it or save it, including you. I actually wish Instagram gave you the option to save your own live stream, but this is not a feature at this time.
So in short, once you end your live video, it’s gone forever.