When it comes to your devices, your contacts are some of the most important parts of socializing on them. In some cases, creating what’s known as a contact group is incredibly useful.
In this tutorial, we’ll talk about contact groups and how to make them on iCloud.com.
What is a contact group?
A contact group is exactly what it sounds like; it’s a group that you make, that consists of many of your contacts. They’re useful for work, school, or even for conversations between you and your friends.
You’ll make a contact group whenever you’ll be needing to get in touch with a high volume of people at once. They come in handy when you don’t want to message each and every person individually, because when you go to start a new email or text message, you can just input the name of the group and it’ll automatically fill the names in to To field of everyone who is in the group you made.
How to make a contact group with iCloud.com
For whatever reason, it looks like Apple has removed the ability to create a new contact group from the stock Contacts app in iOS, but it can still be done on the Mac and on iCloud.com.
We already have a tutorial talking about how to make a new contact group on the Mac, but if you don’t have a Mac, then you’re limited to iCloud.com.
To make a new Contacts Group with iCloud.com, follow these steps:
1) Launch your favorite web browser and navigate to iCloud.com.
2) Sign in with your Apple ID and then click on the Contacts app from the list of web apps.
3) Now, click on the + button at the bottom left of the web app, and click on the New Group button.
4) When you get to the next interface, you can name your group whatever you want it to be. We’ll name ours iDownloadBlog for this tutorial.
5) After you’ve entered a name, tap on the Return or Enter key on your keyboard to save it.
6) Click on the All Contacts button on the sidebar to return to the list of all of your contacts:
7) Select a contact from your contacts list, in this case I’ll pick on Andrew, and then click and drag that contact into your newly-created Contacts Group:
Note: You can repeat step 7 as many times as necessary for each and every contact you want in the group.
8) Now you can open your newly-created Contacts Group, and you should see that person’s name in your group.
And you’re done! You’ve just created a new Contacts Group on iCloud.com, and you can use it with any of your iOS devices or Macs that are connected to your iCloud account.
Now, you can enter the name of your new contact group into the To field of your Messages app or Mail app on your Mac or iOS devices, and the contact information of the people you’ve added will be filled into the field automatically.
It’s really useful to take advantage of contact groups in iOS, on the Mac, or anywhere else on your Apple device environment. Doing so makes sending bulk messages, or starting group conversations so much easier.
- How to create contact groups on iPhone
- Exporting your contacts to a spreadsheet file for Numbers or Excel
- Removing unwanted email addresses from the Mail app on Mac
Do you use Contacts Groups? Share in the comments!