We recently published a post explaining how to create contact groups on Mac, so we thought it would be a good idea to show you how to do that directly from your iPhone or iPad as well. Creating contact groups on iPhone is a fairly simple process, however, it does require installing a third-party application as the stock Contacts app for iOS doesn’t let you create and edit groups on the fly.
No one will argue that not being able to manage contact groups directly from your iPhone is a terrible limitation of iOS, but we’re not really here to discuss what could and should be.
In this guide, we will show you how to manage contact groups on iPhone or iPad by using an application we created called Contact Groups. Not only will we explain how to create contact groups, but we will also show you how to manage and edit these groups…
There are many applications in the App Store that let you create groups of contacts on iPhone and iPad, but we weren’t entirely satisfied with any of them, so we created Contact Groups which we believe is the best out there as it is free, simple, and offers an elegant design.
How to create a group of contacts on iPhone & iPad
Note that this method works whether you use an iPhone, iPad or iPod touch.
1) Launch Contact Groups and grant it access to your contacts (only required the first time you launch the application).
2) Tap the + icon at the upper right, which should take you to the New Group screen.
3) Type in a group name. For the purpose of this tutorial, we will call this group “Friends,” but you’re obviously free to name it whatever you want.
4) Now tap on the Add contacts… Scroll through your list off contacts and select all the ones you want to add to your group. Tap the Save button to save your group.
5) Preview the newly created group, and tap the Save button again to confirm.
You can obviously start this process over should you want to create multiple groups.
How to remove contacts from a group
Note that removing a contact from a group does not delete this contact from your address book.
1) Go back to the main screen of the Contact Groups app. Tap on a group from which you want to remove one or several contacts. This will show you all the contacts that you have assigned to this group.
2) Tap the Edit button in the upper right corner of the screen, and unselect the contacts you want to remove from this group.
3) Tap the Save button in the upper right to save your edited group.