Following a recent update which added basic support for iCloud Drive, enabled Handoff and implemented support for the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus screen sizes, Yuri Selukoff’s excellent file manager and PDF reader, GoodReader, got updated Monday with a slew of new features and goodies.
Available as a free update to existing users, the new GoodReader 4.6 now lets you protect the app with Touch ID fingerprint authentication, open and annotate documents kept in your iCloud Drive without copying them into the app’s private storage and more.
The enhanced handling of iCloud Drive files is in addition to GoodReader’s existing Import feature which would only let you import or export iCloud Drive files, but not work directly on the file in your iCloud Drive.
The new version introduces support for Toshiba’s Wireless SSD and Wireless Adapter external drives and enables a few features on the iPad and the new iPhones, such as page rotation, double-page layout and an all-new grid view in the file browser.
GoodReader 4.6 changelog:
- Another option of handling files from iCloud Drive – opening and annotating files without copying them into GoodReader’s local storage, in addition to the existing Import option.
- Touch ID: use your fingerprints to unlock the entire GoodReader app or its individual files and folders. This feature needs to be explicitly enabled in app settings.
- Support for Toshiba external drives: Wireless SSD and Wireless Adapter
- Some iPad-specific features adopted for the large screens of the new iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus:
- Grid view for file browser: files can now be presented as icons with larger previews.
- Double-page layout for PDF files.
- Page rotation for PDF files
- Bug fixes:
- Fixed an issue that prevented GoodReader folder from appearing in iCloud Drive on some Mac computers.
- Fixed an issue that kept the status bar visible during video playback
- Fixed an issue that caused occasional crashes when writing typewriter notes with Korean font
GooodReader, a 41.6-megabyte download, costs five bucks a pop and requires an iPhone, iPad or iPod touch running iOS 6.0 or later.