After soft-launching in Australia nearly two months ago, Disney Interactive on Thursday released its real-time strategy game for iOS, Star Wars: Commander, on a worldwide basis.
Available as a free-to-play download for the iPhone and iPad, Star Wars: Commander lets you play on the side of the Empire or the Rebellion and “lead epic battles with your favorite heroes”.
You’ll be challenged to invade other players’ bases, charge into battle on distant planets, command your troops and lead machines of war like AT-ATs and TIE fighters into battle, while rising through the ranks as a powerful battlefield commander.
The premium game is set in the period of Galactic Civil War when the Rebellion rallied for justice and freedom while the Empire — as is its wont — sought control of the galaxy.
So, where does your allegiance lie?…
Note that the game is compatible with any iPhone from the iPhone 4s onward, the fifth-generation iPod touch and the iPad 2 onward.
From the blurb:
During a time of Galactic Civil War, competing forces need allies for their cause. The Rebellion rallies for justice and freedom, while the Empire seeks control of the galaxy.
Will you side with the Empire’s strength and relentlessness, or the Rebellion’s heroism and resourcefulness? Choose a side and rise through the ranks as a powerful battlefield commander in this exciting game of strategy and competitive galactic combat!
Check out the promotion trailer.
As this is a freemium release, In-App Purchases of in-game currency are the norm. Also, the game contains social media links to connect with others and uses push notifications.
These alerts can of course be disabled in the iOS Settings app.
For what it’s worth, Disney on its part said it’s using Push Notifications “to let you know when we have exciting updates like new content, as well as advertising for The Walt Disney Family of Companies and some third parties.”
- Choose your side: Will you command AT-ATs and TIE Fighters as the Empire? Or call on iconic heroes like Han Solo and Princess Leia as the Rebellion?
- Build and defend your base: Train unique troops specific to each faction, and fortify your base with deflector shields, turrets, heavy artillery, and other defenses!
- Lead epic battles: Strategically deploy powerful armies, units, and vehicles against enemies and players around the galaxy!
- Form the ultimate Squad: Build strong alliances with friends and other players!
- Travel to multiple planets and complete special missions: Play an all-new story as a valiant leader on the front lines of the Galactic Civil War.
- Upgrade your strike team and its defenses: Strengthen your forces with multiple levels of upgrades for each unit!
This is Disney’s third Star Wars-branded interactive entertainment title since acquiring Lucasfilm and its subsidiary LucasArts in 2012. Previously, Disney released the Star Wars Scene Maker app and the Star Wars Journeys: The Phantom Menace game in the App Store.
Star Wars: Commander is exclusive to iOS on launch, the Mickey Mouse house has said.
The 56.9-megabyte download requires an iPhone, iPod touch and iPad running iOS 7.0 or later.