Today, like any given Thursday, Apple is refreshing its Free App of the Week promotion by making a new iOS tittle free for the next seven days.
Last week’s promotion brought us the free download of Mildmania’s Darklings [review], a gesture-driven endless atmospheric adventure game that incorporates visually enticing Noire-style graphics akin to Limbo and Badland.
Today, Namco Bandai’s Ridge Racer Slipstream has gone free as the App Store’s new Free App of the Week.
Normally a $2.99 download, but now available free in the App Store until next Thursday, Ridge Racer Slipstream recreates this ultimate arcade racing franchise on your iPhone and iPad with pretty graphics, Career and Arcade game modes, twelve beefy cars with plenty of horse power, over a hundred racing competitions across six Grand Prix series, real-time multiplayer and lots more…
Chances are you’ve heard by now about Ridge Racer: dating back to its original release in 1993, it’s one of the longest running racing franchises with over 25 releases on arcade, home and portable consoles, PC and mobile.
Here’s the launch trailer (the game was released on December 19, 2013).
The game received a fairly significant 2.0 update last week, bringing eight-player multiplayer, Facebook integration, improved frame rates and several bug fixes and under-the-hood tweaks.
Should you experience the Facebook loop bug, do the following:
- Enter your iOS Settings menu and enable Airplane mode
- Launch Ridge Racer Slipstream with Airplane mode still enabled until the game reaches the main menu
- Leave the game and disable Airplane mode
- Resume Ridge Racer Slipstream and play online multiplayer without a hiccup
Namco is already working on an update that will squash this annoying bug.
Key highlights include:
A new breed of racing machine
• 12 powerful machines speed you to victory
• Hundreds of customization possibilities to create your dream machine
• 6 game-changing Perks give you advantages you’ll appreciate
Career and Arcade modes
• Make a name for yourself in the full featured career mode
• Need a quick fix? Take on Regular and Knockout Races in Arcade Mode
• Burn up the track and trade paint as you challenge competitors in multiplayer
Lots of courses and inspiring races
• 10 unique venues and 20 courses for head to head racing
• Over 100 racing competitions across 6 Grand Prix Series
• Push the limits of high end graphics in beautifully detailed locations: Lost Ruins, Industrial Drive, Harbor Line, Old Central, and others
Real-time multiplayer experience and challenges
• Challenge the world in thrilling 8-player multiplayer action!
• Battle friends and racing rivals to make your way to the top
• Connect with Facebook to gain rewards and share achievements and milestones with the community
The game is graphics-intensive so the iPhone 4s or later is recommended.
Download Ridge Racer Slipstream free in the App Store.
The installer is 708MB and iOS 7.0 or later is required.
If you’re not a fan of the Ridge Racer franchise, give Gameloft’s free-to-play Asphalt 8: Airborne a try, now with mobile-first Twitch live action broadcasting, the all-new Great Wall location with six new tracks, a few new cars including the 2014 McLaren P1, the Ferrari Testarossa and the Dodge Challenger and more.