After releasing its native Cloud Player app on the iPhone back in June 2012 and adding the iPad edition eight months later, the king of online retailing, Amazon, today announced that the software is finally available to Mac owners as a free download.
Amazon Cloud Player lets you access your Amazon cloud storage for music and manage your music library, whether it’s saved locally or in the cloud.
You can use the app to play your Amazon and iTunes music all from one place, even when offline, and even buy new tracks from the integrated Amazon MP3 Store with a catalog of more than 25 million songs…
Amazon reiterates how its music service and online store compete with iTunes and iTunes Match by offering unlimited storage (paid tiers only), scan-and-match functionality via AutoRip for CDs or vinyl purchased through Amazon’s store and more.
After your previously purchased music collection gets scan-and-matched and uploaded to the cloud, songs become readily accessible through apps for iOS, Android, Roku, Sonos and Samsung TV devices.
Here’s the full list of key features:
• One-place for all your music: Play your Amazon and iTunes music all from one place, even when offline.
• A music library that is always up-to-date: Cloud Player automatically detects and adds new music to your library even if you bought it from iTunes or ripped a CD. The app does all the work for you.
• An integrated MP3 Store: You can shop from the Amazon MP3 catalog of more than 25 million songs and discover new music with personalized recommendations, all without having to leave the app.
• AutoRip: Buy an AutoRip CD or vinyl record from Amazon and a free MP3 version of the album will be added to your Cloud Player for Mac library.
• Built for speed: Forget bloated players with extra features you don’t need or use. • Cloud Player for Mac is lean, mean and made for your music. It’ll get you from launch to play in seconds.
• Music management made simple: Download your MP3 purchases automatically or with one click. Export your music to other music players. Create and manage playlists using simple drag-and-drop.
• Instant search & play: Find music easily and quickly. Type anywhere to search for an artist, album or song and play directly from the search results.
• Rich artist content: See artist photos, bios, tweets, and gorgeous, large album art.
• Anywhere access: Music purchased using Amazon Cloud Player for Mac is securely backed up in the cloud for free and made instantly available on any Kindle Fire, Android phone or tablet, iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, Samsung TV, Roku, Sonos, PC or web browser.
You can download the Cloud Player for Mac or Windows from Amazon’s website.
The 45MB download requires a Mac running OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard or later.
If you live in the Amazon world, your Cloud Player is accessible on the web, via a browser (works on iOS devices, too).
Furthermore, the Amazon Cloud Drive app is also available for the Mac and they even have a dedicated Cloud Drive Photos app for managing your cloud photos on the iPhone, iPad and iPod devices which lets you upload new images in the background.