Apple has seeded the second beta of iOS 7 to developers this morning. The update comes exactly two weeks after the initial version of the new firmware was released, following the company’s annual WWDC keynote.
The change log hasn’t been released yet, but the consensus seems to be that this update is likely more about speed and performance improvements than about adding major new features or making significant changes…
iOS 7 itself, though, is nearly a complete departure from its predecessor. We’ve spent that last two weeks taking an in-depth look at many of the changes Apple has made, from UI to new features, which you can see here.
If you’re a registered developer, you can grab beta 2 by opening the Settings app on your iOS device running iOS 7 beta 1 and tapping General and then Software Up. Or I’m sure it will be available in the dev center shortly.
We’re currently installing the update ourselves, and will report back with any new stuff we find. So stay tuned. And as always, we welcome you to let us know if we missed anything by e-mailing us at [email protected]
Today's iOS 7.0 beta 2 (11A4400f) released to developers expires on Thursday August 8, 2013 @ 12AM (GMT). #TheMoreYouKnow
— iH8sn🌸w (@iH8sn0w) June 24, 2013
What’s new in iOS 7 beta 2
As we continue to dig through the new information in iOS 7 beta 2 this morning, we’ll be listing any major changes we find below:
- This release is all around snappier and more stable
- Voice Memos app is back
- Beta 2 is now available for iPad
- New male and female Siri voices
- The Messages app now shows contacts photos in conversation threads
- New animation when a message is sent
- A bigger “Send” button in Messages
- You contact’s Nickname now shows in Messages instead of his full name
- See Messages timestamps by swiping left
- Reminders app works now, and has received some UI touchups
- FaceTime app has a darker background
- Minor UI changes in Newsstand app
- Music controls are always on Lock screen when music is playing
- You can turn the Parallax effect Off in Accessibility Settings