Galaxy Note

Samsung delays Galaxy S8 following Note 7 fires

During its press conference Monday morning, Samsung shared the findings of Note 7 investigations conducted by itself and three independent industry firms. In the aftermath of Note 7 fires, Samsung’s won’t be unveiling its next-generation iPhone rival at the Mobile World Congress in February as previously thought, Samsung told Reuters.

Samsung shares results of Note 7 investigation, finds two separate flaws with the batteries

Samsung on Monday held a press conference to share results of its investigation into Note 7 fires that forced the South Korean firm to temporarily recall and eventually permanently discontinue its supposed iPhone killer.

For starters, the original battery made by Samsung SDI was irregularly sized and had a flaw in the upper right corner that could cause a short circuit.

A third-party battery made by Amperex Technology was used in replacement Note 7 units, but it suffered from a manufacturing issue that could cause the battery to catch fire because of a welding defect. The company announced new and enhanced quality assurance measures to improve product safety.

iPhone 8 said to use fixed flex 5.8″ screen with embedded sensors

Apple’s next iPhone is expected to adopt a 5.8-inch wraparound AMOLED display that utilizes a fixed flex screen like Samsung’s ill-fated Galaxy Note 7.

That’s according to a note Cowen and Company analyst Timothy Arcuri issued to investors on Wednesday, a copy of which was obtained by AppleInsider. Arcuri refers to the so-called tenth anniversary iPhone as “iPhone X”.

The analyst claims the 4.7-inch iPhone 7s and 5.5-inch iPhone 7s Plus models may switch from LCDs to AMOLEDs, too, if Samsung Display is able to supply enough panels to Apple.

Samsung planning a software update to render remaining U.S. Note 7 phones useless

Not even the exploding batteries have stopped die-hard fans of Samsung’s ill-fated Note 7 from using the remaining phablets that are still in the wild. However, Samsung wants all Note 7 devices to be safely returned and is working on a software update that will render the remaining Notes in the United States useless, according to Samsung’s official blog post and a statement given to The Verge.

Samsung apologizes to users for Note 7 debacle with full-page ads in major U.S. newspapers

Samsung took a full-page ad in three major U.S. newspapers to apologize to its customers for the Note 7 recall. The Korean Herald newspaper is reporting that the company’s letter to customers was signed by Gregory Lee, who is president and CEO of Samsung Electronics North America.

The ad appeared in Monday editions of The Wall Street Journal, The New York Times and The Washington Post.

“An important tenet of our mission is to offer best-in-class safety and quality. Recently, we fell short on this promise. For this we are truly sorry,” reads the ad.