This step-by-step guide and tutorial will show you how to unlock your iPhone 3GS running OS 3.1 using UltraSn0w. This is a very simple method that requires only a few steps.
Step 1: You have to jailbreak your iPhone 3GS by following one of these tutorials.
Step 2: Once jailbroken, follow these steps:
Launch Cydia. Add the following source to Cydia repo666.ultrasn0w.com (note there is a “0″ in sn0w, not an “o”). After installing this source in Cydia, search for “ultraSn0w”. Install UltraSn0w and reboot your iPhone.
This step-by-step guide and tutorial will show you how to jailbreak firmware 3.1 for iPhone 3GS using a Windows PC. If you have a Mac, you might as well follow this tutorial.
This guide is just a workaround as there is no official iPhone 3GS 3.1 jailbreak tool for Windows yet. We are going to get a custom firmware cooked on a Mac machine and install it on your iPhone 3GS on a PC. This is a safe and simple way to update your iPhone 3GS to a custom jailbroken 3.1 firmware.
Dev Team member MuscleNerd confirmed earlier today what we reported yesterday: a jailbreak for iPhone 3GS 3.1 coming soon.
It seems that there is a bit of confusion around this and people aren’t sure whether they will be able to jailbreak or unlock their iPhone 3GS.
From what I understand, here is the situation (note that I might be wrong, in which case, please correct me by adding a comment):
if you are still on 3.0 or 3.0.1 and your baseband is still 04.26.08, then there is no problem at all for you. You will be able to jailbreak and unlock by using PwnageTool and creating a custom firmware that will not update your baseband. if your iPhone 3GS is already on 3.1, you won’t be able to jailbreak or unlock yet but the Dev Team is working on your case.
As usual in this case, we will be spreading the news as it becomes available.
For the latest information about the iPhone 3GS jailbreak and unlock, please refer to the following articles:
jailbreak iPhone 3.1 unlock iPhone 3.1
Please leave a comment should you have any question or concern.
UPDATE: I wrote a tutorial on how to jailbreak the iPhone 3GS 3.1 with PwnageTool.
It seems that the Dev Team finally managed to jailbreak OS 3.1 for the iPhone 3GS! Dev Team member cpich3g tweeted the following info earlier today: 3gs 3.0 pwned->3.1 pwned. Props to Musclenerd, Wizdaz and thanks Bumble-Bee & ToddJG for testing. tinyurl.com/y8sr4p3 tinyurl.com/y8z277l The 2 links take you to screenshots (see image above) showing firmware 3.1 running along with baseband 04.26.08. In other words, it means that they managed to jailbreak 3.1 without updating the baseband, which means that the iPhone 3GS can also be unlocked using UltraSn0w.
So what’s next? I guess the Dev Team will write an official post on their blog soon to announce the iPhone 3GS jailbreak for OS 3.1. Then they will most likely release an update of PwnageTool and UltraSn0w.
Of course, I will post more info as it becomes available.
Last month, we talked about a simple hack to let you edit videos on your iPhone 2G or 3G the same way the iPhone 3GS does. iPhone OS 3.1 just made this hack obsolete for 3G users as it is now possible to edit videos on the iPhone 3G without hacking the phone.
If you updated your iPhone 3G to the new 3.1 firmware, you should now be able to trim videos and save them in your camera roll. In order to edit a video, you should have someone email you the video and save it to your camera roll first. From there, you can access the video, edit it, and save the changes.
That’s a nice little upgrade for the iPhone 3G. Though I still think it’s scandalous Apple didn’t allow the 3G to get video recording.
Every time a new iPhone OS comes out, it gives headaches to jailbreakers and unlockers. This time is no exception to the rule… The new iPhone OS 3.1 has been available for a few weeks and the Dev Team has successfully been able to unlock it.
It took a while but all 3 iPhones (iPhone 2G, 3G, and 3GS) can now be unlocked. You will either need to use PwnageTool or UltraSn0w to unlock your iPhone, depending on the model.
With a new OS always comes a new jailbreak… As always, the Dev Team has been working day and night to bring us a reliable jailbreak for iPhone 3.1.
So far, only a Mac version of PwnageTool is available but the Team is working on updating RedSn0w for both Mac and PC. We just have to be patient.
It is also important to note that there is no jailbreak for the iPhone 3GS so far. There finally is a jailbreak for the iPhone 3GS 3.1. It’s a little tricky though so please make sure you read the information below. I wrote a couple tutorials on how to jailbreak iPhone 3.1 using PwnageTool.
This guide and tutorial will show you how to jailbreak your iPhone 3G running firmware 3.1, using PwnageTool for Mac OS X. So far, only PwnageTool is available for jailbreaking the 3.1 iPhone 3G and it is only for Mac. I believe a RedSn0w method for both Mac and PC will be available soon.
1. Make sure you have installed the latest version of iTunes (iTunes 9).
2. On your desktop, create a folder called “jailbreak” or whatever name you want to give it. It doesn’t really matter. Download PwnageTool 3.1 and the 3.1 IPSW (iPhone1,2_3.1_7C144_Restore.ipsw) from here and save them into the “jailbreak” folder. Note that you should download the firmware using FireFox as Safari often brings up issues. Also note that the PwnageTool download link is a torrent and you will need a torrent downloader (ie. uTorrent) to download it.
3. Launch PwnageTool. It will give you some sort of warning. Just click OK. On the next screen, choose the “Expert Mode”.
4. Select your iPhone model and click the blue arrow to continue.
5. Browse for the IPSW you downloaded in step 2. You should then get a green check mark.
6. You will now be offered several options. Choose “General”. Make sure the “Activate the phone” box is left UNCHECKED if you use an official carrier (such as AT&T in the US, Roger in Canada, etc…). This is very important. If you are not using an official carrier, then CHECK “Activate the iPhone”.
7. Increase the root partition size to 700 MB. This is not necessary but it is safer. Then click the blue arrow to continue. Click the blue arrow one more time to skip the bootneuter settings, which aren’t available for the iPhone 3G.
8. You will now have the possibility to pre-install a few packages from Cydia so you don’t have to do it manually later. I will skip this part. Click the blue arrow to go to the next step.
9. You will now be in the “Custom packages settings”. Make sure Cydia is selected and you may want to select Icy as well. For what it’s worth, I do not use Icy. I only use Cydia but you’re free to select both if you want. Whatever you do, make sure at least Cydia is selected. Click the blue arrow to continue.
10. You can now set your own “Custom logos settings”. I don’t use any but again, you can choose the one pre-selected or you can even upload your own. If you choose to upload your own, remember the logo mustn’t be bigger than 320 x 480. Click the blue arrow when done to continue.
11. It is now time to start the pwnage process. You should be on the main options screen offering you 6 different options. Choose “Build” and click the blue arrow to continue.
12. You will now have to save your custom IPSW file. Save it in the “jailbreak” folder we created in step 2.
13. Your custom IPSW firmware will now be built, which may take up to 15 minutes, so be patient.
14. You will most likely be asked for your administrator password. Fill in the blanks and click OK.
15. You will then be asked if your iPhone has been pwned before. Just answer “No”.
16. Now is the most important step. You will first be asked to turn off your iPhone. Follow the instructions on your computer screen to put your iPhone into DFU mode. Basically, you have to hold the home and power buttons together for 10 seconds, then release the power button but still hold the home button. If done correctly, PwnageTool will tell you you successfully entered the DFU mode.
17. If iTunes hasn’t launched automatically, open it. iTunes should tell you it has detected an iPhone in recovery mode. Click OK.
18. In iTunes, hold the “Alt/Option” key and click Restore at the same time. DO NOT click “restore” without holding the “Alt/Option” key! A window will pop up and you’ll be able to choose the custom IPSW file you created in step12 that you saved in your “jailbreak” folder.
19. iTunes will now work on restoring your iPhone using the custom firmware.
20. Done! You will now be offered the option to set up your iPhone as a new phone or restore from a previous backup. I personally like to start fresh and I always choose to set it up as a new phone, but it’s your choice.
21. You should now see the Cydia icon on the second page of applications on your iPhone. Congratulations, you just jailbreaked your iPhone 3G 3.1 with PwnageTool.
If you have any question or concern, please leave a comment.
The Dev Team just released PwnageTool 3.1 for Mac OS X which will let iPhone 2G/3G and iPod Touch 1G users jailbreak their device. So far, only PwnageTool is available and is for Mac only, but the Dev Team is working on updating RedSn0w for both Mac and PC.
There is still now way to jailbreak the iPhone 3GS and the iPod Touch 2G and 3G but I assume these will come in the near future.
GOLDEN RULE: If you are using a 3G iPhone with ultrasn0w and rely on ultrasn0w to obtain cellular service, then you should only upgrade to 3.1 with a PwnageTool created .ipsw. – Stay away from Apple’s direct updates as described here and here please get up to speed on the whole subject by reading the information contained in these posts. If you have an original iPhone (1st generation) then 3.1 unlock works with this PwnageTool release. iPhone 3G users upgrading to 3.1 will need to continue using ultrasn0w with a PwnageTool created 3.1 .ipsw Please read all parts of this post before downloading and using these tools. Read items 1, 2 and 3 again and again. At the bottom of this post are the bittorrent files for the 3.1 capable version of PwnageTool. This app is suitable for the recent 3.1 release. This version of PwnageTool will NOT work for the iPhone 3GS. PwnageTool WILL work for Original iPhone (1st Generation), Original iPod touch (1st Generation) and the iPhone 3G.
I will post a tutorial soon on how to jailbreak the iPhone 2G and 3G using PwnageTool. Stay tuned! If you can’t wait, you may want to have a look at an older tutorial for PwnageTool (files are differents but the tutorial remains the same).
UPDATE: I Just finished writing the iPhone 3G 3.1 tutorial using PwnageTool for Mac OS X.
Saurik, the creator of Cydia, has come up with a way to downgrade the iPhone 3GS from firmware 3.1 to firmware 3.0. The method is not for the faint of heart but it can be a life saver if you accidentally upgraded your iPhone 3GS to 3.1. Saurik did a great job at explaining how and why this downgrade works and I invite you to read his article for detailed information. On my part, I will only give you a step by step on how to downgrade from 3.1 to 3.0.
1. First and foremost, you must have saved your ECID file through Cydia. If this was done, you should see the following message at the top of Cydia’s homepage: This iPhone 3G[S] has an ECID SHSH on file.
2. Now we’re going to duplicate the functionality exposed by Apple’s signature server and trick iTunes into thinking it is connected to Apple’s servers. Make sure you have iTunes 9 installed on your computer.
On a Mac, go to /etc/hosts. On a PC, go to C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts. Open the file in a text editor and add the following entry at the bottom of the file: 188.8.131.52 gs.apple.com
Save the file and close it.
3. Now we have to put your iPhone into DFU mode. To do this, open iTunes, plug your iPhone and hold down the power and home buttons for 10 seconds, then let go of the power button but continue to hold the home button until iTunes recognizes the device with the message: “iTunes has detected an iPhone in recovery mode. You must restore this iPhone before it can be used with iTunes.” Your iPhone screen should be completely black. If you see an image on your screen, you most likely didn’t perform the previous step correctly. Try again.
4. You can now do a “normal” restore to the 3.0 software. To do this, hold down the Option key (on Mac OS X) or the SHIFT key (Windows) while clicking the Restore button in iTunes. Select the firmware 3.0 (which can be downloaded here).
Theoretically, you should be done with the downgrade. That’s just for the theory though… You’re most likely going to get several errors.
If you get the “unknown error (3002)”, it’s because you probably don’t have your ECID SHSH’s for 3.0 on file with Cydia and it is unfortunately impossible to register your device with Cydia anymore. There is no solution, your iPhone can’t be downgraded from 3.1 to 3.0 and you’re gonna have to wait for a new jailbreak.
If you get the “The iPhone “iPhone” could not be restored. An unknown error occured (1015)” error, then re-do the process all over again. You will get the same error again and it is normal. Ignore the error and jailbreak your iPhone using RedSn0w.
I agree that this is definitely not the easiest way to downgrade your iPhone from firmware 3.1 to firmware 3.0, but you don’t have much choice at this point. If you don’t feel like taking on this project, I suggest you just wait for a proper 3.1 jailbreak, which may take days, weeks, or months. I am very confident that the jailbreak community is getting closer to a 3.1 jailbreak though.
If you have any tips and tricks to make this whole process smoother, or if you have any question, please leave a comment.
UPDATE: If you have an iPhone 3G, you can now downgrade from baseband 05.12.01 to o4.26.08.
Since the delivery of the new OS 3.1, many people have been emailing me or asking me on Twitter if it is possible to jailbreak iPhone 3.1. The disappointing answer is that, no, there is no jailbreak yet for firmware 3.1 but I am confident the Dev Team is working overtime to deliver to us a jailbreak (and maybe an unlock) for 3.1.
As I mentioned earlier this week, if you are running 3.0.1 or 3.0 and that you want to keep your jailbreak and/or unlock, do not update to 3.1. It will wipe out everything and may make it impossible for you to jailbreak or unlock again in the future.
I will update the blog as soon as I have more information. For the latest news on jailbreaking and unlocking, please refer to the jailbreak page and the unlock page on the site. These pages are up to date with the latest jailbreak and unlock guides and tutorials.
For real-time info, you may want to follow me on Twitter.
As I predicted, Apple unveiled today iPhone OS 3.1, and you know what? There is not much to it! It seems to me all this event was actually kinda disappointing but that’s what happens when you expect too much…
If you’re a jailbreaker, do not update your iPhone to 3.1 as it will wipe out everything and worst of all, you may not be able to jailbreak or unlock in the future.
Apple also announced the release of iTunes 9 and it is nice to notice that it is safe to update iTunes to 9.0. It won’t affect jailbreakers or unlockers in any way.
Now if you used the tethering hack to tether your iPhone for free, you may not want to update your iPhone to 3.1 as we’ve seen mixed results. Some people report that the tethering hack is working fine after updating to 3.1. Some other report that it breaks the hack. Let’s wait and see.
Here is the list of features that come with iPhone OS 3.1:
Improved syncing for music, movies, TV shows, podcasts, and photos iTunes U content organization Redeem iTunes Gift Cards, codes, and certificates in the App Store Display available iTunes account credits in the App Store and iTunes Store Save video from Mail and MMS into Camera Roll Option to Save as new clip when trimming a video on iPhone 3GS Better iPhone 3G Wi-Fi performance when Bluetooth is turned on Remotely lock iPhone with passcode via MobileMe Use Voice COntrol on iPhone 3GS with Bluetooth headsets Paste phone numbers into the keypad Option to use Home button to turn on accessibility features on iPhone 3GS Warn when visiting fraudulent websites in Safari (anti-phishing) Improved Exchange calendar syncing and invitation handling Fixes issue that cause some app icons to display incorrectly
As you can see, there is no word about battery improvement. I guess Apple didn’t deem consider this as an issue.
All the 3.1 firmwares as well as iTunes 9 are available from our downloads page.
Needless to say that there is no jailbreak yet for iPhone 3.1. I will keep you updated and write tutorials on how to jailbreak iPhone 3.1 as it becomes available.
If you have noticed anything new in 3.1, please feel free to report it by leaving a comment below.