If you’re a jailbreaker, do not update your iPhone to 3.1 as it will wipe out everything and worst of all, you may not be able to jailbreak or unlock in the future.
Apple also announced the release of iTunes 9 and it is nice to notice that it is safe to update iTunes to 9.0. It won’t affect jailbreakers or unlockers in any way.
Now if you used the tethering hack to tether your iPhone for free, you may not want to update your iPhone to 3.1 as we’ve seen mixed results. Some people report that the tethering hack is working fine after updating to 3.1. Some other report that it breaks the hack. Let’s wait and see.
Here is the list of features that come with iPhone OS 3.1:
- Improved syncing for music, movies, TV shows, podcasts, and photos
- iTunes U content organization
- Redeem iTunes Gift Cards, codes, and certificates in the App Store
- Display available iTunes account credits in the App Store and iTunes Store
- Save video from Mail and MMS into Camera Roll
- Option to Save as new clip when trimming a video on iPhone 3GS
- Better iPhone 3G Wi-Fi performance when Bluetooth is turned on
- Remotely lock iPhone with passcode via MobileMe
- Use Voice COntrol on iPhone 3GS with Bluetooth headsets
- Paste phone numbers into the keypad
- Option to use Home button to turn on accessibility features on iPhone 3GS
- Warn when visiting fraudulent websites in Safari (anti-phishing)
- Improved Exchange calendar syncing and invitation handling
- Fixes issue that cause some app icons to display incorrectly
As you can see, there is no word about battery improvement. I guess Apple didn’t deem consider this as an issue.
All the 3.1 firmwares as well as iTunes 9 are available from our downloads page.
Needless to say that there is no jailbreak yet for iPhone 3.1. I will keep you updated and write tutorials on how to jailbreak iPhone 3.1 as it becomes available.
If you have noticed anything new in 3.1, please feel free to report it by leaving a comment below.