The iOS 16.5 release notes mention enhancements like a new wallpaper, but Siri screen recording that was present in betas is nowhere to be seen.
On May 18, 2023, Apple publicly released the iOS 16.5 update for the iPhone and the matching iPadOS 16.5 update for the iPad, along with other updates.
These are mostly maintenance updates that fix bugs and patch vulnerabilities. Still, there’re also a few enhancements thrown in there, like a new Pride Edition 2023 wallpaper for the iPhone and Apple Watch and a new Sports tab in the News app. The ability for Siri to start and stop screen recording sessions is notably absent from the release even though the feature was available in iOS 16.5 betas.
How to update your iPhone to iOS 16.5
To install iOS 16.5 or iPadOS 16.5, go to Settings > General > Software Update on your iPhone or iPad and hit Install Now or Download and Install instead.
You must enter your passcode to install an over-the-air update. If you’d like your iPhone or iPad to update automatically overnight while charging, choose Automatic Updates and turn on the Download iOS Updates option.
The dedicated Sports tab in the News app
iOS 16.5, iPadOS 16.5 and macOS Ventura 13.4 bring a dedicated new Sports tab to the News app. Also, the Following and Search tabs have become one, with the search field now at the top of the Following section. As a result, the tab layout is now as follows, from left to right: Today, News+, Sports, Audio and Following.
iOS 16.5 and iPadOS 16.5 release notes
Keep in mind that Apple’s update notes only sometimes mention every new feature, but that’s where the community steps in to contribute. According to Apple, iOS 16.5 and iPadOS 16.5 include bug fixes and these new features:
- A new Pride Celebration wallpaper for the Lock Screen to honor the LGBTQ+ community and culture. (iPhone)
- The sports tab in Apple News gives easy access to stories, scores, standings and more, for the teams and leagues you follow. (iPhone, iPad)
- My Sports score and schedule cards in Apple News take you directly to game pages where you can find additional details about specific games. (iPhone, iPad)
- Fixes an issue where Spotlight may become unresponsive. (iPhone, iPad)
- Fixes an issue where Screen Time settings may reset or not sync across all devices. (iPhone, iPad)
- Addresses an issue where Podcasts in CarPlay may not load content. (iPhone)
Related support documents
Apple also published changelogs and refreshed relevant support documents:
- iOS 16.5 Release Notes
- iPadOS 16.5 Release Notes
- iOS and iPadOS 16 Feature Availability
- Apple Security Updates
Other updates Apple released today
Aside from iOS and iPadOS 16.5, Apple today also launched macOS Ventura 13.4, which also enables the new Sports tab in the News app.