In Peridots, an upcoming new real-world augmented reality game from the Pokémon GO maker Niantic, you care for, raise and breed cute virtual pets.
- Niantic, the developer behind the first major AR game Pokémon GO, has announced Peridots, an upcoming virtual pet game that uses augmented reality to blur the lines between the real world and virtual one.
- Peridots, or just Dots, are cut virtual pets that you get to care for, raise and breed.
- The game will enter a soft-launch testing phase in select markets soon.
Peridots is a new AR pet simulator from Niantic
According to the announcement on the Niantic website, the game tasks you with forging a real bond with your virtual pet. Like with real pets, you must focus on their wellbeing and interact with them on a daily basis to watch them grow and prosper.
You’ll foster your own Peridots as you embark on this experience. These are creatures who feel so real, you’ll love every moment raising them from birth to adulthood. While you explore the world together, you’ll get to learn more about your cute new friends, develop a bond as you nurture and play with them, and work with other players to diversify their species.
Sounds just what folks who grew tired of playing Pokémon GO may need. The game wasn’t available to download on mobile platforms at post time. Niantic has said that it will be soft-launching Peridots in certain markets to gather feedback from beta testers. The company wouldn’t clarify when precisely the first beta is supposed to arrive and in which countries it’s scheduled to soft-launch first, nor has it provide a launch release timeframe. People who would like to take part in the beta-test period should visit playperidot.com to sign up for a newsletter and pre-register for the game. Read: How to resume the last-played Apple Arcade game
Niantic provided the following highlights for Peridots:
- Nurture: Foster your magical Peridots, creatures who feel so real, you’ll simply love every moment you spend raising them. Pet, play, feed and teach them tricks to keep them healthy and help them grow.
- Adventure: Take your Peridots on walks wherever you go and discover new places in your local neighborhood. As you explore together, you’ll uncover helpful items to keep your creatures happy and snap photos and videos to track all of your memories together.
- Breed: Band together and collaborate with other players around the world to expand the Peridot species. Breed your one-of-a-kind creatures and discover the infinite possibilities of Peridot archetypes. Some can even resemble your favorite animals like cheetahs, dragons, unicorns and more.
Get your Niantic ID
The game is likely to use Niantic ID to remember your progress and achievements across devices and platforms. Introduced in November 2021, this feature is supported in four games from Niantic so far, including Pokémon GO. As the company announced recently, players can now navigate to their Niantic profile on the web at my.nianticlabs.com to create, update and fully manage their Niantic ID account.